Mass Media & Technology

A question about media servers

Is my idea possible (September 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of subscribing to sky q but want to know if its possible to have the actual box in one part of the room and use remote control extenders to operate it e.g. with

I'm asking this because I'm not interested in the sky q mini box and I want to keep the server seperate.
BA
bilky asko
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of subscribing to sky q but want to know if its possible to have the actual box in one part of the room and use remote control extenders to operate it e.g. with

I'm asking this because I'm not interested in the sky q mini box and I want to keep the server seperate.

Would you mind reformulating the question so it is understandable by humans?
ukpetey, Ne1L C and Hatton Cross gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
Granted it was confusing. I realised after I posted that what I was thinking wasn't possible. Thanks for the replies Very Happy
RK
Rkolsen
Hi everyone.

Are you essentially saying that for example you'd want to place the box in say a cabinet (that would block the remote signal) and mount your TV on the wall? Sky Q's remote appears to be Bluetooth based (or they option a Bluetooth version) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Although I'm in the US I have a TiVo with a Bluetooth remote. I've used it 30 some feet away (it probably could go furthur) so say if I'm in the hall or a different room and the volumes turned up I can hear the TV or change the channel.
NL
Ne1L C
I'll try and explain step by step:

1. Install Sky Q as normal and connect to tv set

2. Unplug tv set and take it to the other side of the room leaving Sky q as server

3. Connect tv set to sky mini box and use sky mini box to record and playback using the mini as "master" and the sky Q as "slave"

The reason I'm doing this is there are far too many cables in my current setup and as a side note i'm also looking at repositioning my router

Many thanks Very Happy
UK
UKnews
Yes that will work, although the Q box will still technically be the ‘master’ as it holds all the recordings and streams them to the mini box (via Ethernet or WiFi).

Be aware if you ever want to get 4K the Sky mini boxes don’t have the hardware to support that. You’ll be able to record 4K programmes (if you have the 2TB box and relevant subscription) but they won’t play back on the mini box, only on the main Q box.

The standard remote for the Q box is Bluetooth, but they also supply an IR remote. The mini box is supplied with an IR remoge wnd doesn’t support the Bluetooth ‘touch’ remote - which is actually very good once you get used to it.
HA
harshy Founding member
That’s pretty poor that if you subscribe to 4k then you should be possible to watch everywhere, this is sky not believing in better!
NL
Ne1L C
I'm not concerned about 4k/UHD yet. There's not that much material out there. Thanks for the replies
UK
UKnews
That’s pretty poor that if you subscribe to 4k then you should be possible to watch everywhere, this is sky not believing in better!

No, it’s about keeping the cost of the hardware down and making it work reliably (in that it’ll be easier to reliably stream 1080p over WiFi than it will 4K), along with the fact that most people will only have one 4K set and it’ll be connected to the main Q box. It is a bit of a problem that if you record or download 4K content you can’t watch it downscaled on the mini boxes. Otherwise it’s a very good system.
London Lite and dosxuk gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
Loving the discussion. How much more difficult will it be to stream 4K via wifi than 1080p?
NG
noggin Founding member
Loving the discussion. How much more difficult will it be to stream 4K via wifi than 1080p?

Depends entirely on the bitrate of the UHD (aka 4K) material and the quality of the WiFi (and the congestion of your WiFi environment).

It is quite easy to stream UHD stuff at Netflix's low max bitrate of ~15Mbs (because they are 24-25p and pre-encoded) in a nice quiet rural environment with only one WiFI network and with the WiFi router/access point nice and close with only plasterboard walls in the way.

It is much more difficult to stream UHD stuff at a continuous live broadcast rate of ~25-30Mbs (with live encoding and 50p) in a busy urban area with 40+ WiFi networks in range, sharing frequencies, and with your router at the other end of your house or flat with thick stone or brick walls in the way of the router.
BA
Bail Moderator
Wired connections are a must where possible for home networking. My 2p.

Newer posts