TV Home Forum

Channel 4

General Discussion (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
If it's after like season 10, it's not worth caring about anyway.
VM
VMPhil

I strongly disagree, the show continues to be great up until the movie in my opinion.
:-(
A former member

I strongly disagree, the show continues to be great up until the movie in my opinion.

Your be in a minority then Wink I will say there has been TWO great episodes since Season 9. ( personnel 7 was the best and 8 is where rot started but there still some gems)
DE
DE88
"Saddlesore Galactica" is a rotten episode. So are "Kill the Alligator and Run", "The Computer Wore Menace Shoes" and "Bart-Mangled Banner".

And if there is one thing that Al Jean should never, ever be forgiven for, it's keeping Homer a jerk to some extent.

That's all I'll say.
davidhorman and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
My own personal research concluded that it started getting patchy in Season 10, a little more promising in Season 11, and Season 12 was the death sentence.
JA
james-2001
"More promising in season 11"? In my opinion season 11 was dire. Season 12 was where I gave up about 3 episodes in, every more recent episode I've seen just backs up that decision.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Channel 4 (or more specifically Film4) have aired what are officially 12-rated films at 7pm, edited out the strongest language and pushed it out as PG. About A Boy is a key example of this and when they've aired the Airplane! film.

The Simpsons trims on Channel 4 have been going on for years, though probably aggravated somewhat by their insistence on airing it at all hours of the day recently.

Airplane! is a 15, last time I saw it on Film4 pre-watershed the scene with the topless woman and the excrement hitting the fan were kept intact which I was very surprised at.

IMDB suggests Airplane! is only a 15 because of the director commentary, the film itself is apparently PG. There's a number of films from the 1980s that one may consider pushes PG ratings to the limit - and all because there was nothing between PG and a 15 rated movie until I think 1990 when the 12 was introduced. America of course had had PG-13 since the mid 1980s.
LL
Larry the Loafer
"More promising in season 11"? In my opinion season 11 was dire. Season 12 was where I gave up about 3 episodes in, every more recent episode I've seen just backs up that decision.

I thought Season 10 was hit and miss, and the misses were less frequent in Season 11. Mind you, a lot of the episodes from Season 11 included what I considered "classics" seeing them when I was younger on BBC Two. Season 12 was when I was getting physically tired of watching them because of how dreadful they were.
DE
DE88
Season 11 did have "Behind the Laughter". Wink

"Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?" and "Days of Wine and D'oh'ses" aren't bad episodes either. And there seems to be a fair amount of love for "E-I-E-I-D'oh" and "Pygmoelian", too.

But there was also the aforementioned "Saddlesore Galactica" and "Kill the Alligator and Run". I wouldn't have much time for "Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder", "Missionary: Impossible" or "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge" either, or for Christmas episode "Grift of the Magi" despite the late Gary Coleman.

And, of course, there was "Alone Again, Natura-Diddily". Maude really didn't have to be killed off, IMO - especially as Maggie Roswell did return to the show a relatively short time afterwards. Plus, it's one of the least bearable Jerkass Homer episodes, along with season 10's "Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble"" and "Viva Ned Flanders"...
A former member
The best episodes over the past 15 years:

* The Seemingly Never Ending Story
* Yokel Chords
* The Ned-liest Catch

Thats it. the trouble is around season 10 is when one of the most people voice person died: Phil Hartman
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I think we can all agree The Simpsons went off the boil years ago. Personally I'm fine with the show on the whole up until about the time Tony Blair had a cameo role and then it just sort of went crap after that and when I read reports about how its been recommissioned by Fox until 2019 and the show's 30th series I'm just like, why?

Mind you most long running America shows such as Simpsons tend to run out of steam after a while, probably not helped by the need to churn out anywhere between 22-26 episodes a year - the equivalent near enough of four series of a show over here. Still that's their system.
A former member
Famliy guy gone the same way, even the creator thinks it should have stopped around season 6. but money talks. ....

Newer posts