TV Home Forum

20 years since the death of Princess Diana

This is BBC Television from London. Normal programming has been suspended. (August 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Unless they got caught by the delayed start as per BBC Two?

Less likely as news packages are a couple of minutes so easier to dip out of and fill to time with news coverage than a programme coming from a totally different department
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 12 September 2017 9:39am

16 days later

IS
Inspector Sands
I don't think this was posted at the time but here's a feature from 5 Live called 'I Was There' featuring Nike Gowing and Stephen Jessel who talk about being on air the night Diana died:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05dm5hw
(there are a couple off factual errors in the introduction but they don't really matter)
GE
thegeek Founding member
Fairly sure the BBC announcement was at 1754.

VMPhil posted the following video in the YouTube Gold thread, showing that they were already onto an obituary package by 1755:
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I'm going to reveal the full extent of my embarrassing geekiness as a 15 year old here.....but it may be able to help a little in the Queen Mother death debate!

For some unknown reason, I decided to keep a log of BBC News and News 24 presenters each day between late 2000 and early 2002. Yes, I know.....incredibly sad!

However, thankfully I only stopped shortly after the Queen Mother's death. I've just read this thread and wondered if I still have the logs somewhere - indeed I do, buried away on an external drive.

According to those records, the newsflash with Peter Sissons was at 1750. This was followed by a "BBC News Special Report", again with Peter Sissons, at 1820. The late news that evening was at 2100 with Peter Sissons. Over on News 24, Philip Hayton was presenting until the 1750 newsflash. Seemingly, Peter Sissons carried on until some time after 1900 - at which point Chris Lowe and Anna Jones took over coverage. Martin Popplewell was the overnight presenter before a Breakfast Special from TC7 with Bill Turnbull, Sian Williams and news read by Rachel Ellison on Sunday morning 6am-10am (this was unusual - don't forget, Sunday morning Breakfast usually came from N8 at this point. They clearly used the weekday set in TC7 for the special).

Anyway, those are the notes I made on the day. I'm probably going to get ridiculed for this now!!

On a side note, if you want to know who presented what on any other day from late 2000 until Spring 2002, do let me know and I'll have a look for you.
JO
Josh
I'm going to reveal the full extent of my embarrassing geekiness as a 15 year old here.....but it may be able to help a little in the Queen Mother death debate!

For some unknown reason, I decided to keep a log of BBC News and News 24 presenters each day between late 2000 and early 2002. Yes, I know.....incredibly sad!

However, thankfully I only stopped shortly after the Queen Mother's death. I've just read this thread and wondered if I still have the logs somewhere - indeed I do, buried away on an external drive.

According to those records, the newsflash with Peter Sissons was at 1750. This was followed by a "BBC News Special Report", again with Peter Sissons, at 1820. The late news that evening was at 2100 with Peter Sissons. Over on News 24, Philip Hayton was presenting until the 1750 newsflash. Seemingly, Peter Sissons carried on until some time after 1900 - at which point Chris Lowe and Anna Jones took over coverage. Martin Popplewell was the overnight presenter before a Breakfast Special from TC7 with Bill Turnbull, Sian Williams and news read by Rachel Ellison on Sunday morning 6am-10am (this was unusual - don't forget, Sunday morning Breakfast usually came from N8 at this point. They clearly used the weekday set in TC7 for the special).

Anyway, those are the notes I made on the day. I'm probably going to get ridiculed for this now!!

On a side note, if you want to know who presented what on any other day from late 2000 until Spring 2002, do let me know and I'll have a look for you.

Who presented on Christmas Day 2000/1? Just curious. Smile
GE
thegeek Founding member

You've seen the rota threads on here, right?
JasonB, Hatton Cross and itsrobert gave kudos
ST
Steve Founding member

I remember ‘covering’ for you on at least one occasion and filling the gaps. We definitely were the cool kids.
IT
JoshX posted:

Who presented on Christmas Day 2000/1? Just curious. Smile

Christmas Day 2000:

Breakfast: Darren Jordon
BBC1: George Alagiah

(unfortunately I didn't start logging News 24 until Feb 2001)

Christmas Day 2001:

Breakfast: Darren Jordon
BBC1: George Alagiah

News 24:
0000-0100 Peter Dobbie
0100-0600 Lucy Hockings
0600-0900 Darren Jordon (Breakfast)
0900-1300 Maxine Mawhinney
1300-1800 Jane Hill
1800-2100 Peter Dobbie
2100-0000 Carrie Gracie
IT
Steve posted:

I remember ‘covering’ for you on at least one occasion and filling the gaps. We definitely were the cool kids.

Haha I'd completely forgotten about that, Steve! That must have been when I went on holiday! Deary me.........

Times seemed so much simpler back then!
JV
James Vertigan Founding member

VMPhil posted the following video in the YouTube Gold thread, showing that they were already onto an obituary package by 1755:

Couldn't help but giggle at the inappropriateness of the channel hopping in that clip -
ITN News Channel - The Queen Mother is dead
Sky Moviemax - # Celebrate good times, come on! #
JA
james-2001
If it was when Thatcher died it would have been more appropriate Wink
DE
deejay
A long time since I’ve seen the onDigital on screen graphics. Amazing how low tech they look now, yet at the time it felt very modern indeed. I see your ITV reception was almost as crappy as mine!!!
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts