TV Home Forum

After the News

New ITV topical show, previously titled 'Late Night Live' (September 2017)

VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
Radio Times reports:

Radio Times posted:
ITV is hoping that a late night current affairs show will succeed where the Nightly Show failed, RadioTimes.com can exclusively reveal.

The broadcaster is preparing to air a new strand provisionally called Late Night Live after the 10pm news this autumn.

Airing every weeknight for five weeks from the start of October, the show will focus on the news but with a more serious bent, it is understood.

“Think BBC’s This Week, but with an ITV twist,” said a source.

Presenting names are being kept a closely guarded secret but it is thought that Andrew Neil, who stepped down as the presenter of the BBC’s Sunday Politics last month, is a potential target.

Neil is said to be in the process of renegotiating his contract with the BBC where he presents Daily Politics and This Week. ITV declined to comment on the speculation.

[It] is understood that Late Night Live is also considering the possibility of rotating hosts each week.

The move of the 10pm news met with stiff opposition from ITV’s news provider ITN who believed that the move demeaned the brand and gave the BBC’s 10pm bulletin a free run while failing to improve the ratings performance in the slot.

However ITN bosses will be pleased that the current plans mean that the 10pm news will remain where it is – for the moment.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-09-04/the-new-nightly-show-itv-to-launch-topical-show-late-night-live/
Last edited by VMPhil on 30 September 2017 6:18pm
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
Radio Times posted:
“Think BBC’s This Week, but with an ITV twist,” said a source.

Oh dear. That doesn't bode well.

This Week is a niche weekly programme, with a small loyal audience. Giving it the "ITV twist" sounds like handing it a poisoned chalice of Blue Nun.
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
I hope they realise rotating hosts doesn't really work unless you have regular panalists that can carry it.

I'd rather they had another go at nightly chat show with a single host. This Week wouldn't work on ITV and it's the sort of show you wouldn't want every night of The Week.
:-(
A former member
STV already does this with Scotland Today and ITV already does this with Representing border,,,
JO
STV already does this with Scotland Today and ITV already does this with Representing border,,,

They're nothing like This Week though.
:-(
A former member
Jon posted:

They're nothing like This Week though.

Different market need different programmes Wink
NW
nwtv2003 Granada North West Today
Sounds ok, to be fair The Agenda was a good format. There was also a Sunday night show with Adrian Chiles which ran for a couple of series which surprisingly was very good.

ITV want to crack the late night market by the sounds of things but have no idea what to put on it, they may as well try something different considering most nights they pretty much give up after News At Ten.
steve
steviegTVreturns
JO
The Agenda just tries too hard to try and not be Question Time, rendering the audience pointless.

I'm surprised it hasn't been rebranded ITV News at Ten Aftersun.
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
I think the "ITV twist" will just be having Dermot O'Leary host it.

Jokes aside though, rotating hosts is a terrible idea for a show like this. It's something I've said countless times in regards to The Nightly Show. The only reason it works on HIGNFY is because the show, really, belongs to Paul Merton and Ian Hislop. The guest host acts as the referee while Ian and Paul actually carry the show. Chat shows and topical shows are entirely dependent on its hosts and the style they inject into it to make it their own.
AN
Andrew Founding member Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
You can see why they do it with a pilot series though, as if the first host just doesn't click, you aren't lumbered with them with the whole run.

For example the Adrian Chiles Sunday show was half decent, but by that point Chiles was someone everyone loved to hate so you never knew if people actually liked the format or not.

By the way, I imagine it'll be a topical show with a serious edge rather than a serious show with a light edge which some of these ideas seem to be suggesting.
LL
London Lite Founding member London London
Ben Shepherd does politics then?
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Jokes aside though, rotating hosts is a terrible idea for a show like this. It's something I've said countless times in regards to The Nightly Show.

Agree - just suggests if the producers can't decide on a host then how on earth can they nail down a format. And whether it's good hosts or bad hosts it just backfires either way for a show trying to establish itself. Better to hire Ortis Deely and then sack him after three days than just not commit to anyone.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.

Newer posts