HM Coastguard Adverts on BBC One

Is this usual? (September 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
JIMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
NW
nwtv2003
It wasn't unusual to see a Fireworks PIF on BBC1 leading up to November 5th in between CBBC and Neighbours, even as late as the mid 2000's.

I think the original poster may be a bit young to remember a good scary PIF before BBC1 closed down for the night and faded to black.
SC
Si-Co
clh posted:
I've just seen an HM Coastguard advert on BBC One telling you to call 999 and ask for Coastguard in an emergency.

It came on between the Weather at 00:15 just before joining the news channel.

Is this a new thing, or is it just something (or the type of thing) that's often shown at night?

There's been a PIF between the weather and closedown/news channel for as long as I can remember.

Used to be followed by the announcer saying something like "That was a public information film" but not for quite a few years.

I presume the BBC were required to specify that the viewer had just seen a PIF, because they may have also seen the same one on ITV or C4 - and mistaken the PIF for an "advert" on the BBC!

"That was a public information film, not a commercial - so you still need to pay your TV license!"
JA
james-2001
Try and look up Apaches, a 30-minute long PIF from the late 70s about kids playing (and dying) on farms. It ranges from the hilarious (the kid drowing in pig ****) to the nightmare inducing (the girl dying from drinking pesticide).
DJ
DJGM

JIMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Was rather tempted to reply to that with "FALLLLLOOOOOONNNNNN!" but that's another subject.

Meanwhile . . .

. . . that was a public information film.
PA
paul_hadley
Next month you'll no doubt start to see the one about wearing gloves whilst holding sparklers.

Hold at arms length. No not the child, the sparkler... 😄
:-(
A former member
does anyone remember the talking cloud? that was always on before CITV in the 90s?

What come first the above of this:

JA
james-2001
10 minutes of kids being electrocuted, we didn't want to distrurb our kids at all back in the 70s did we?
TJ
TedJrr
You should look up a BTF film called "Robbie". Made for BR and narrated by Peter Purvis.
JA
james-2001
Or Keith Chegwin if you find the later re-edit.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
10 minutes of kids being electrocuted, we didn't want to distrurb our kids at all back in the 70s did we?

Kids in the 70s had nothing to worry about with Rolf Harris teaching them to swim and Jimmy Savile telling them to wear seat belts!
Steve in Pudsey and james-2001 gave kudos
SC
Si-Co

Kids in the 70s had nothing to worry about with Rolf Harris teaching them to swim and Jimmy Savile telling them to wear seat belts!

I thought of a joke there but decided to keep it to myself!

Newer posts