TV Home Forum

Broadcasting House, Salford Quays & TVC

(September 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
I am very happy to see Television Centre studios up and running again, even though there are only three left. Studio 1 will no doubt become the home to The Graham Norton Show from next Spring, when Graham's show is kicked out of The London Studios when they close in Spring 2018.

It is a shame that with the ITV deal, TC3 which is a large studio, will be used just by ITV daytimes shows Mondays to Fridays. TC3 was the first main studio to open in 1960 and was part of the opening night on television.
JK
JKDerry
On the BBC Studioworks website it says - "From 2018, Studioworks’ Television Centre facility will also become the temporary new home for the ITV Studios Daytime shows, Good Morning Britain, Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women. These shows are relocating from ITV’s London HQ during the redevelopment of the site and will be hosted in studios TC2 and TC3, live on weekday mornings."

This means that production companies wanting a medium sized studio like TC3 will not be able to use it Mondays to Fridays and weekends seem the only time TC3 will be available to production companies. Shame, as TC3 is a good sized studio and could have been used by more production companies, but the ITV deal snapped it up 5 days a week.
IS
Inspector Sands
I seem to remember that the freehold was kept partly because land value was fairly low at the time so it was thought to hold onto it until the situation improved.

People do say that the £200 million that Stanhope paid was too low but it was just the building and whoever bought it would have to have done a lot of work to make it useful for their purposes. No-one would have just moved in and used it as it left off
IS
Inspector Sands

Judging from this, I believe multiple TV companies might use these studios to be fair.

Yes and of course they did in the old days too. Many programmes for other broadcasters were made at TVC
JO
Josh
Its a 999 year lease on the building & building rights with the BBC holding the freehold of the land with a cashback clause on premiums from the development.

Its a strange and complicated world these days where a BBC1 programme such as Graham Nortons show is owned by ITV who will in all likelyhood make it in BBC premises which the BBC used to own but sold then rented them back.

Is that a typo? 999 years seems v/ unlikely.
IS
Inspector Sands
A 999 year lease is normal for such a development. It effectively means forever. Presumably it needs some sort of end date even if it's an impossible one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999-year_lease?wprov=sfla1
DE88, Josh and Stuart gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall
Notable anniversary reminder issued earlier

JO
Jon
A 999 year lease is normal for such a development. It effectively means forever.

You won't be saying that in 3015.
RI
Richard
JoshX posted:
Its a 999 year lease on the building & building rights with the BBC holding the freehold of the land with a cashback clause on premiums from the development.

Its a strange and complicated world these days where a BBC1 programme such as Graham Nortons show is owned by ITV who will in all likelyhood make it in BBC premises which the BBC used to own but sold then rented them back.

Is that a typo? 999 years seems v/ unlikely.

It's a standard length of time in residential properties, and the owners of leashold properties have to pay ground rent to the previous owners.

68 days later

GO
gottago
Mysterious little tidbit I’ve spotted on a construction forum. The BBC have been sniffing around the new cultural quarter in the Olympic Park in Stratford. The page on the planning site raises more questions than answers but seems to suggest that whatever departments they’re planning to move will either move there or to Elstree. No idea if this means they’re reducing or moving out of another location but be prepared for an announcement I guess.

https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngovlldc/documents/g6089/Printed%20minutes%20Wednesday%2013-Sep-2017%2015.30%20Investment%20Committee.rtf?T=1&CT=2

8 days later

TR
TROGGLES
Mysterious little tidbit I’ve spotted on a construction forum. The BBC have been sniffing around the new cultural quarter in the Olympic Park in Stratford. The page on the planning site raises more questions than answers but seems to suggest that whatever departments they’re planning to move will either move there or to Elstree. No idea if this means they’re reducing or moving out of another location but be prepared for an announcement I guess.

https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngovlldc/documents/g6089/Printed%20minutes%20Wednesday%2013-Sep-2017%2015.30%20Investment%20Committee.rtf?T=1&CT=2

A decision securing the future of BBC Elstree has been confirmed recently. The new Albert Square has been started (at last) with a completion date of late 2019 early 2020. The Clarendon road entrance has been closed and the autograph hunters are now to be found on Eldon Avenue.
GO
gottago

A decision securing the future of BBC Elstree has been confirmed recently. The new Albert Square has been started (at last) with a completion date of late 2019 early 2020. The Clarendon road entrance has been closed and the autograph hunters are now to be found on Eldon Avenue.

Reread the application though, this isn’t about moving something from Elstree, it’s about moving something from elsewhere potentially to Elstree or Stratford.

I’ve read somewhere that they believe this is for one of the BBC’s orchestras which will be moving out of Maida Vale.

Newer posts