Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
It is real here a copy of it:

The other copy must have been recorded on a much older VCR, as it doesn't handle the switch to and from the newsroom too well.
JA
james-2001
Looks like it could have gone down several generations too.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Includes the handback to Gary Lineker at the end, who was very new to presenting at the time

He said on Goodbye Television Centre that he was watching the football in preparation for his first live MOTD presenting gig, and somebody came running into the room to tell Gary that Des was being evacuated from Aintree, they needed a host for Grandstand, and he was the only host around. He was left to fill numerous times while match reports were being prepared, eventually switching to an old snooker match, and was then told he'd get a "crash course" to do the videprinter. Safe to say, he probably wasn't worried about MOTD after that.
MA
Markymark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Idcns2D8zw

It's like CWilliams narrated it!

It's narrated by David Wood, who went on to hold a senior position within the EBU's engineering division in Geneva.

https://www.ebu.ch/contents/news/2012/10/smpte-honours-david-wood.html
SW
Steve Williams
He said on Goodbye Television Centre that he was watching the football in preparation for his first live MOTD presenting gig, and somebody came running into the room to tell Gary that Des was being evacuated from Aintree, they needed a host for Grandstand, and he was the only host around. He was left to fill numerous times while match reports were being prepared, eventually switching to an old snooker match, and was then told he'd get a "crash course" to do the videprinter. Safe to say, he probably wasn't worried about MOTD after that.

I'm sorry to keep on ruining everyone's stories by being a massive pedant but it wasn't Gary's first time presenting MOTD - he'd presented it a couple of times already that season, most notably in September 1996 when he presented it for an entire month while Des had a break after a frantic summer of sport. But it was the first time he'd presented Grandstand. In Bob Wilson's book, he says that MOTD and Sportsnight, especially in those days, were actually quite easy to do because they were very heavily scripted and there were lots of breaks where you weren't on, but Grandstand was a real challenge and "if you hadn't done your homework, the programme would find you out".
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Presumably a case of pulling in whoever was still around at that time of night and shoving them in front of a camera!

Looks like he went on to have a pretty distinguished career

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/regional/worcestershire/kidderminster/10815969.Ex_Hartlebury_journalist_earns_African_editor_award/

I wonder where that newsflash came from. Being late at night on a weekend I can't imagine the TV Centre newsroom being fully staffed at that time. Given the unfamiliar presenter, the unfamiliar location, the possibly non-sync cut and the fact that this was the era when TV and Radio news were very separate, would I be barking up the wrong tree to suggest that it might have been somebody from the radio newsroom reporting from the unattended contribution studio at BH?
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'm sorry to keep on ruining everyone's stories by being a massive pedant but it wasn't Gary's first time presenting MOTD - he'd presented it a couple of times already that season, most notably in September 1996 when he presented it for an entire month while Des had a break after a frantic summer of sport.

I could be misremembering it but it's coming straight from the man himself when he was asked about it by Michael Grade. Maybe even he's misremembered.
:-(
A former member
JA
james-2001
A Scottish Jimmy Savile? Oh dear!
IS
Inspector Sands
Juliet Bravo.... or is it?
NM
NeilMiles
Presumably a case of pulling in whoever was still around at that time of night and shoving them in front of a camera!

Looks like he went on to have a pretty distinguished career

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/regional/worcestershire/kidderminster/10815969.Ex_Hartlebury_journalist_earns_African_editor_award/

I wonder where that newsflash came from. Being late at night on a weekend I can't imagine the TV Centre newsroom being fully staffed at that time. Given the unfamiliar presenter, the unfamiliar location, the possibly non-sync cut and the fact that this was the era when TV and Radio news were very separate, would I be barking up the wrong tree to suggest that it might have been somebody from the radio newsroom reporting from the unattended contribution studio at BH?

Something similar here from ITN, Colin Baker with a newsflash at closedown from the LWT continuity studio
DE88 and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Don't worry about Ronald, he'll live for another 19 years!

Newer posts