TV Home Forum

Sir Bruce Forsyth RIP

Entertainer dies at 89. Tribute on BBC ONE at 7pm 18 Aug 2017 (August 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member

What seems a bit bizarre from a modern perspective is that the Gen Game - both in the seventies and also during Brucie's nineties run - was usually recorded in the week of transmission. I remember in that 1994 series, as well as the episode presented by Davidson, there was also another episode in the middle of the run that was a clip show, with Brucie coming on at the start to say they thought that as it was his last series they'd like to take a look back at the entire run, although I recall reading it was a very late substitute for a proper show. Indeed I remember in the papers at the time they reported on that and the Davidson episode by saying the production team were all very concerned because he was getting so old and ill. Just the two decades early.

I was going to ask about that, but you've confirmed the reason. I had wondered why a game show host would need a stand in, as if the host was ill, they'd just cancel the recording, and do it later, as it was probably many months before transmission. I hadn't realised it was done within the same week.

The later Jim Davidsom titles reminds me in some way to the latter Johnny Vaughan titles for The Big Breakfast, although it worked for Johnny, where the host and their features became bigger than the show itself.
SW
Steve Williams
The two versions 623058 posted are identical. I thought "Version 2" was this, which in my opinion, sounds a lot more confident and less "daytime", and has a much better transition into the studio.

Indeed. Sounds very similar to the House Party theme, though not surprising when the same person wrote both.

"Live from London" - Was it not always pre-red'd over the summer? Wouldn't get away with that these days!

Well, indeed. I'm assuming that by the end of the Davidson run they were pre-recording them much further in advance than the same week recordings Brucie had, not least because there were huge gaps during the run.

Jon posted:
Was it used for the conveyor belt? I'm not sure it was.

Other than that I'd say it was just peice of set design.

I seem to remember them doing the conveyor belt on it, yes, but as I say, it was a very bad bit of design as it dominated the entire set and got in the way of stuff. Of course one of the big ideas in the first series was the contestants being driven in through the doors.

I was going to ask about that, but you've confirmed the reason. I had wondered why a game show host would need a stand in, as if the host was ill, they'd just cancel the recording, and do it later, as it was probably many months before transmission. I hadn't realised it was done within the same week.

Yeah, and then it could have a load of running jokes too - like Brucie's famous "here kitty kitty" routine about the lost cat. There were a couple of episodes in the original run where Anthea was missing, a couple for illness and most of a series on maternity leave, and Jenny Lee-Wright stood in. But it was the seventies, people were iller in those days because everyone smoked and it was freezing.

I don't know why they felt they needed to record them so close to TX, presumably as a flagship show they thought it was important to do so. Of course the whole thing was done as-live with the Gen Game roadies taking stuff on and off set.
BU
buster
There were a lot of format changes in Jim's first series from the Bruce years (most of which were reverted from series 2) - the contestants all came on in a car through the doors in the aforementioned tower thingy, and I seem to recall they sped up the chats with them too. The most radical one was getting the audience to vote on each game to generate the scores, which I actually quite liked. The conveyor belt was different too although of course remained so until the end of the run (something like get to 15 out of 20 items and you get the rest plus the star prize, and I don't remember anyone not managing it).

I recall Jim had another catchphrase when the conveyor belt doors opened - "mind the gap" - which I only understood once I moved to London ten years later...

Re: recording rates - I think Jim's years were a few weeks behind as in 1997/8 he used to do an "it's all yours Noel!" style throw at the end of each show, which meant that at the start of 1998 the announcer had to say "actually it's the Best of Noel's House Party next" and the week after "in fact it's Noel's Greatest Gotchas in a moment". A few weeks later that throw stopped never to return, clearly been told to can it in case Edmonds pulled out completely...
BU
buster
The two versions 623058 posted are identical. I thought "Version 2" was this, which in my opinion, sounds a lot more confident and less "daytime", and has a much better transition into the studio.

Indeed. Sounds very similar to the House Party theme, though not surprising when the same person wrote both.

Interestingly on one of those credits you've got Ernie Dunstall as Music Director (House Party original theme) and Stephen Green as Theme Tune writer (House Party 1996 theme). So there were two years of Saturday nights when Mr Green had two of his compositions back to back on Saturday nights. Although nothing compared to how David Lowe has dominated early evenings for the past decade...
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
The conveyor belt was different too although of course remained so until the end of the run (something like get to 15 out of 20 items and you get the rest plus the star prize, and I don't remember anyone not managing it).

I noticed on YouTube clips that for the Jim Davidson version contestants got gunged during the conveyor belt bit. All seemed to have gone a bit Noel's House Party by that stage.

Will be interesting to see how the Mel & Sue revival works.
IS
Inspector Sands

I noticed on YouTube clips that for the Jim Davidson version contestants got gunged during the conveyor belt bit. All seemed to have gone a bit Noel's House Party by that stage.

And that happened frequently at the beginning of the show too - one of the from each of the two sets of contestant introductions was normally involved in a sketch or practical joke which ended up with them getting covered in some substance. Must have taken ages to record and some of it didn't look like pre-recorded earlier
BR
Brekkie
The conveyor belt was different too although of course remained so until the end of the run (something like get to 15 out of 20 items and you get the rest plus the star prize, and I don't remember anyone not managing it).

Will be interesting to see how the Mel & Sue revival works.

Much better I hope. It's no surprise it got axed by the end - you'd have thought they'd have learned from Noels House Party that gunge can't save a dying show.

The BBC really could do with the revival being a success though and then giving it as lengthy a run as they used to so it can dominate the schedule in the first quarter in the way Strictly does in the last.
JO
Jon
Actually House Party used gungings in the later series.
FA
fanoftv
Is Jim the only host to have 3 assistants with Sally Mean, Melanie Stace and Leah Christiansen?
PT
Put The Telly On

Interestingly on one of those credits you've got Ernie Dunstall as Music Director (House Party original theme).

Ernie is also credited with Gina G's Ooh Ahh Just a Little Bit (for Eurovision) in 1996!

Yeah think it was me who originally made the 'daytime' analogy for Jim's original opening titles. I kind of presumed they were done by the same dept who did Anne and Nick's!

The 2nd revamped theme, according to a comment by him on that video, was apparently remixed by Alan Rogers and Kent composer Paul Townsend on bass who continued to do incidental music for the show until it ended.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Is Jim the only host to have 3 assistants with Sally Mean, Melanie Stace and Leah Christiansen?

Jim's never been one to settle down...
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
I never realised that Brucie had a role in Magnum PI or that he had a US Gameshow.

Newer posts