« Topics
marshmallow344 posts since 4 Nov 2015
Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Living in the north-west, you would be surprised by the number of people who still call North West Tonight "Look North" and refer to "Granada" instead of ITV. kernow's right - old habits do die hard. And to be honest, I shouldn't be throwing stones here - I confess that I still say "BBC World" instead of "BBC World News". BBC World News used to be the news programme every hour on BBC World. I just can't get out of that mindset.

Most people over a certain age round here still seem to call it Yorkshire, I regularly get asked if I "saw that on Yorkshire last night". It's certainly not a problem, I just guess people have just come accustomed to their ITV regions former name and feel a much closer affinity to it than the more soulless identity of ITV.
NewbieTvFan
Granada North West Today
Ok. Let's sort this out. GMTV gone Daybreak gone. GMB here! Doesn't matter what people call it. If someone says GMTV or Daybreak I know they'll mean GMB. I've noticed people seem to say GMB more though rather than GMTV or Daybreak. GMB sounds good powerful strong.
Lou Scannon1,134 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West
If older people still call things by a name they haven't actually been called for many years, then people under a certain age will literally/genuinely not know what the heck they're talking about.

For example, to anyone born circa late-1990s onwards it's literally always been "ITV(1)" - in most regions - and not any heritage regional names.

"TV-am" is outside of living memory for anyone currently aged mid-20s or younger.
I'm still a European.
NewbieTvFan
Granada North West Today
lmao this whole subject needs to be put away now. Can someone not delete this GMB Today topic? Totally pointless!
Richard924 posts since 22 Apr 2012
Granada North West Today
Even presenters get it wrong. Judy Finnigan describes The London Studios as "LWT" in this clip from the last Granada Reports from Quay Street although I suppose it still was that when she last presented "This Morning" 'from there.

Last edited by Richard on 26 August 2017 12:55am
Markymark6,883 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
Even presenters get it wrong. Judy Finnigan describes The London Studios as "LWT" in this clip from the last Granada Reports from Quay Street although I suppose it still was that when she last presented "This Morning" 'from there.

Whenever I visited 'Kent House'in the early 00s, they'd give you an 'LWT Visitor' badge to stick on your clothes.
Newsroom24250 posts since 28 Jan 2017
Westcountry Points West
Could GMB Today be a model for a pre-recorded format to potential replace Weekend and give GMB a 7-day presence without the expense.

I think the 'Weekend' brand is weak, and I'm not really sure why the programme is still being broadcast. I'm not convinced that the talk show/interview style that the programme is based around really works that well at the time when Weekend is shown.

I think that the GMB 'brand' has been growing somewhat since it launched and while it may be good to have a 7-day pressence for the brand, I would worry that a pre-recorded version of GMB Today may damage the brand that they have built up by GMB Today having less of a news focus, something that GMB has become known for. That said, it could further provide further brand exposure for GMB, which may help to attract more interest in the main show. Also, I think the style that is used for GMB Today is considerably better then that used for Weekend and by it not being live would help to keep the cost down which would be another benefit.

ITV tend not to be too scared to try out new things so prehaps we could see something along these lines being tried out at some point in the future.