TV Home Forum

GMB Today

Launches Monday 21st August, 8.30am (August 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
I think a lot of people still called it TVAM for years.

Likewise I've heard someone refer to it as Daybreak.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I think the changeover from TV-AM to GMTV passed some people by, apparently some old dear wrote to either GMTV or some publication somewhere asking where "that nice [Mike] Morris had gone" from her early morning TV. Whether she'd noticed a) it was a different service or b) he did eventually appear on GMTV (albeit on Sunday mornings) isn't documented.
RI
Richard
Nobody in the media or indeed outside of this forum remembers that the main part of GMTV was called GMTV Today. 99% of people remember Eamonn and Fiona hosting 'GMTV'

The point is that 'GMTV' and 'GMB' are almost identical, whether it is followed by the word 'Today' or not.

Indeed, and if you do a search for "GMTV" on twitter, for example, a lot of results come up, which shows that people are still calling it GMTV, and the fact that Good Morning Britain, often abbreviated to GMB, is so similar to GMTV, is probably a factor in this.

If we still had Daybreak, there would probably be fewer people referring to it as GMTV nowadays.

If you search "GMTV clock" on twitter you'll find people who not only don't know what the service is called, they are watching on ITV+1 and get confused that the time is an hour behind.

VM
VMPhil
Where's that video of a guest referring to TV-am sat next to a big GMTV sign while on the sofa, with Andrew Castle having to correct him?
AN
Andrew Founding member
GMB Today sounds so similar to GMTV Today that there's been some references to "GMTV Today" in the media, which isn't much of a surprise really.

Here's an example, which contains a heading entitled: "Who will be hosting GMTV Today?"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4262373/lorraine-good-morning-britain-gmb-today-lorraine

Nobody in the media or indeed outside of this forum remembers that the main part of GMTV was called GMTV Today. 99% of people remember Eamonn and Fiona hosting 'GMTV'

The point is that 'GMTV' and 'GMB' are almost identical, whether it is followed by the word 'Today' or not.

Indeed but the original suggestion was that GMB was perfectly fine but it was GMB Today which suddenly caused confusion. To be fair, it's sloppy journalism from The Sun. Yes members of the public may refer to and old name, but it shouldn't be in print.
KE
kernow
I think even just GMB causes confusion, as shown here when Kate Garraway said GMTV instead of GMB:

ST
Stuart
I think that the 'great unwashed' can be forgiven for being confused with the name of the breakfast programme on ITV/Channel 3. Very Happy

TV-am initially used to broadcast both Daybreak and Good Morning Britain; they were succeeded by GMTV, who were introduced to the nation by Eamon as "Good Morning Television", who later had a main programme called GMTV Today. They were then succeeded by both Daybreak and another programme called Good Morning Britain, who now have a spin off programme called GMB Today.

If I wasn't a TVF geek, I'd probably be rightly confused about what this channel want to call their breakfast programmes. Shocked

That's before you add the confusion of the same presenters popping up on similar sounding programmes produced by a new company. I'm just waiting for Anne & Nick to make an appearance on GMB, just to send the over 60s into a complete tail spin! Very Happy
Last edited by Stuart on 24 August 2017 8:06pm
MarkT76, Lou Scannon and watchingtv gave kudos
LS
Lou Scannon
I bet that if the presenters opened the show by saying e.g. "Good morning plebs" (or far worse), that there'd be few/no complainants because "most people" just seem to be too oblivious/pig ignorant/inattentive/unobservant to notice.

Somebody that I know was recently talking about a certain Amazon Prime show presented by Messrs Clarkson, Hammond and May. He referred to it throughout as "Top Gear". Rolling Eyes

There are no words that can truly express how much that sort of thing riles me.

<reaches for medication>
KE
kernow
Old habits die hard.

I've even heard "Breakfast Time" mentioned a few times quite recently on BBC Breakfast, normally during the regional opt outs.
WL
W1LL
Old habits die hard.

I've even heard "Breakfast Time" mentioned a few times quite recently on BBC Breakfast, normally during the regional opt outs.

Peter Levy rarely calls it by its proper name, either calling it that or its successor 'Breakfast News'.
JO
Jon
That's just really unprofessional, unless he's doing it in some sort of ironic way.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Living in the north-west, you would be surprised by the number of people who still call North West Tonight "Look North" and refer to "Granada" instead of ITV. kernow's right - old habits do die hard. And to be honest, I shouldn't be throwing stones here - I confess that I still say "BBC World" instead of "BBC World News". BBC World News used to be the news programme every hour on BBC World. I just can't get out of that mindset.

Newer posts