Mass Media & Technology

What you do when setting up a TV

(July 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ME
Meteor2
I don’t suppose anyone here has paid for a proper calibration of a more expensive set, would be interesting to hear people’s experiences.

Often, a Google can find a review website that has calibrated a particular model of TV. That's something I check for with a new TV (twice in ten years lol), then copy their settings.

If there's no information online or just doing a quick setup for someone, then yes, all digital 'helpers' (edge enhancement, dot noise reduction, that sort of thing) either to off or low (I usually do a quick selective check on each, one by one), make sure there's no frame interpolation type thing turned on ('sport mode', sometimes known as 'soap opera mode' for the cheap look it gives everything), and colours usually to something like warm 1.

Black levels I check by the normal check -- get something black on screen, and make sure it's just, well, black. Contrast usually goes near max. I tend to turn on ambient light level detection, I find it helpful, and moderate or low power saving (before adjusting the black level). Contrast enhancement on moderate.

I'm a bit old school but colour usually goes around the 65% middle mark. I don't like over-saturated colours, even if everyone on Instagram does.

Sound level, if using external speakers, I usually set at 60-70%.
ME
Meteor2
Nowadays, the first setting I change is to turn the sharpness to 0. The horrible white halo around everything on HD isn't something I can bear.

I think on some more recent TVs low settings of sharpness actually blurs the image -- who knows why. But yes, sharpness generally goes to zero for me. Forgot that one.
DA
davidhorman
I think on some more recent TVs low settings of sharpness actually blurs the image -- who knows why.

Probably so you think that's how it would look on other tellies which didn't have such amazing sharpening.

I'm a bit old school but colour usually goes around the 65% middle mark. I don't like over-saturated colours, even if everyone on Instagram does.

Philistine! Wink 40% should be more than enough.
VM
VMPhil
I don’t suppose anyone here has paid for a proper calibration of a more expensive set, would be interesting to hear people’s experiences.

Often, a Google can find a review website that has calibrated a particular model of TV. That's something I check for with a new TV (twice in ten years lol), then copy their settings.

To be clear, I'm talking about a professional calibration where someone trained in the art comes round and goes through service menus that you can't normally get to (and can break your TV if you try messing with them yourself), and tunes these settings specifically for your set.
WH
Whitnall
Bail posted:
Despite my best efforts, I've not be able to replicate the clear and vibrant image I can get on my 2009 LCD Samsung TV on my new one. Despite the fact that my new Samsung which is 4k LED and cost double the price, it just won't do the picture as good. Even 4K stuff does not have the same clarity as my cheap 2009 set.

What source are you feeding it? An HD image will generally look better on a HD screen over a 4K one, as the 4K as to upsample/stretch the picture to fill the screen.

That said if you're saying 4K material doesn't look good either then perhaps there is an issue, what make/model is it, there are lots of AV sites and forums with "optimum" calibrations that you can find on What Hi-Fi etc?

Just a Sky HD box. So not 4K.

However I have a BT 4k box (previously) and Netflix 4K. The image is better than HD but its not as crisp as the other TV. It's hard to explain. It's a Samsung UE40HU6900. I think it's a 2014 design so perhaps I jumped on the boat too soon!

Newer posts