TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Probably because all the changes they made damaged the show further and turned viewers off.

To be honest I think it makes the show look much more modern. But I wonder if it was a bit ahead of its time and not suitable for a show with an established audience who wouldn't welcome the changes anyway, hence the move to axe it.
JA
james-2001
I disagree, it worked much better without the film look and the cheesy music over all of it. In fact The Bill was a perfect exaple of how video look drama can be done with modern techniques and work very well. There was no need to shove it on just because that's how every other drama uses it these days.
:-(
A former member
Has anyone seen any "The bill" pres?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Probably because all the changes they made damaged the show further and turned viewers off.

To be honest I think it makes the show look much more modern. But I wonder if it was a bit ahead of its time and not suitable for a show with an established audience who wouldn't welcome the changes anyway, hence the move to axe it.

I seem to recall Casualty went back to it's drama roots with a revamp in I think 2005, but soon went back to the soapy nonsense as it has a stable audience.

The Bill worked better as short stories with some hour specials. However, I also remember it like Casualty also going soapy and really needed to go back to being drama, yet the direction was wrong.

13 days later

:-(
A former member
Are the following two ident still in use?

Drama:
* Car Park ident.
* Bedroom Ident
VM
VMPhil
Not really sure where to put this, but Creamguide has alerted me to the fact that Gold are unusually showing something with David Jason in that's not Only Fools and Horses or [Still] Open All Hours.

In the run up to their new original documentary on his career, they're currently showing late ’70s ITV sitcoms Lucky Feller and A Sharp Intake of Breath, as well as the 1987 Channel 4 series Porterhouse Blue.

Of note to TV Forum in particular is that the original London Weekend and ATV frontcaps, on Lucky Feller and A Sharp Intake of Breath respectively, have been left intact. So set your PVR if you want to see some rarely repeated shows with ITV frontcaps on them.
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos
DB
dbl
Not really sure where to put this, but Creamguide has alerted me to the fact that Gold are unusually showing something with David Jason in that's not Only Fools and Horses or [Still] Open All Hours.

Yup, it's brand new. Both an OFAH documentary and a documentary about David Jason's career. He even did the promo voiceover for it.
JA
james-2001
In the run up to their new original documentary on his career, they're currently showing late ’70s ITV sitcoms Lucky Feller and A Sharp Intake of Breath.

Aren't they the shows he kept from being repeated and released on home video for years? Obviously mellowed out on them more recently.
CR
Critique
Don't think this has been mentioned here, but Drama have made a very nice minisite about the Bill, in relation to them showing it from the start.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Seems quite fitting for the website to have the kind of animated intro that was last fashionable in 1997 Smile
JA
james-2001
I notice the trailers for the new Only Fools and Horses documentry show a lot of clips of outtakes from the show. I don't beleive they've ever been seen before, I'd heard that David & Nicholas had always been reluctant for them to come out. I guess they've mellowed out on that, along with David on the screenings and release of Lucky Feller and A Sharp Intake Of Breath.
VM
VMPhil
So, is it just me or are the end credits for the David Jason documentary using the ITV credits template and the ITV font? It's made by Shiver so not too surprising but it just looks odd seeing it on a UKTV channel!

Newer posts