TV Home Forum

A Question of Sport

Long standing QS logo dropped (August 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EA
Earlie37
It looks like it's had quite a bit of money thrown at it actually and looks much bigger than the last set. Looks better on screen too as the last set was starting to look worse for wear - especially as it was a half-bodged version of the very first attempt. They had LED backdrops behind the desks, rather than the audience but I think it might have only lasted two or three shows due to moire effect and looking shocking on screen.

All images from http://www.alexcraig.com/

http://www.alexcraig.com/images/previews/1/1.jpg

I wonder whether the new set will get "tweaked" for other shows. Pop Quiz was an example of this earlier in the year.

http://www.alexcraig.com/images/previews/pop-quiz-tv-set-design.jpg
Last edited by Earlie37 on 17 August 2017 1:22pm
DE
DE88
dvboy posted:
The font they have chosen is terrible, especially when used in all-caps on the name plates, the kerning is awful.

Who else uses ITC Avant Garde Gothic these days, anyway?

An A Question of Sport revamp is defined by always coming with a new arrangement of the theme tune. This has been the case since the late 90s, where before revamps may have included new titles or graphics but left the theme tune alone. The fact that they keep attempting to modernise the theme tune makes me surprised that they haven't attempted to modernise the logo too, leading to my original post.

And if I'm right in thinking, the 1998 revamp introduced the On The Buzzer round, while later revamps have tinkered with the traditional rounds (What Happened Next? becoming multiple choice, for instance) and introduced the likes of the Captains' Challenge (which, TBH, I've never liked and have always thought would have been better suited to They Think It's All Over).

Hard to believe that Sue will complete 20 years as host in October - I remember the buzz when she was announced as David Coleman's successor, despite being only nine years old at the time. Also, Matt has been a captain for 13 years now - he must be close to breaking Ally McCoist's record of 363 appearances as captain...
JO
Joe
DE88 posted:
Hard to believe that Sue will complete 20 years as host in October - I remember the buzz when she was announced as David Coleman's successor, despite being only nine years old at the time.

To be fair, that's still considered pretty young to be the host of a quiz show.
DE
DE88
Joe posted:
DE88 posted:
Hard to believe that Sue will complete 20 years as host in October - I remember the buzz when she was announced as David Coleman's successor, despite being only nine years old at the time.

To be fair, that's still considered pretty young to be the host of a quiz show.

I meant *I* was nine years old, of course. Wink

Mind you, Lisa Riley wasn't much older when she took over from Jeremy Beadle on You've Been Framed! the following year... Wink

Anyway, getting back on topic, here's the first mash-up of QOS and TTIAO, from the inaugural Sport Relief in 2002. At this time, John Parrott was just about to depart from QOS, to be replaced by Frankie Dettori.

And here's the second mash-up two years later - by which time Frankie was himself on his way out, to be replaced by Dawson. I doubt many expected at the time that Tuffers would himself become a QOS captain...

FL
flaziola
The Parrot vs McCoist years were my favourite.
The show is a bit ad hoc with its scheduling at the minute, Sue always signs off with a see you again soon instead of next week.
DV
dvboy
The show is a bit ad hoc with its scheduling at the minute, Sue always signs off with a see you again soon instead of next week.

I think she does that because a) when not in a new series it gets repeated often as a one-off, b) both the Wednesday showing an Friday repeat are easily droppable.
JO
Jon
Wouldn't 'see you nextime' be better?
NB
nbafan89
dvboy posted:

I think she does that because a) when not in a new series it gets repeated often as a one-off, b) both the Wednesday showing an Friday repeat are easily droppable.

as it was tonight due to sir bruce's death
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The repeat is often pre-empted for regional opt outs, it's kind of there in the schedule to be dropped.
AG
AxG
360° view of the set:
BA
Bail Moderator
This feels a bit like when they removed the audience seating behind the guests last time, and people hated it, so they put the seats back. Now they've been moved behind Sue... Also hate that logo. I miss the stadium look set.

http://ilarge.lisimg.com/image/1480350/800full-a-question-of-sport-photo.jpg

48 days later

DE
DE88
Thought I'd point out that yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Sue's first QOS as host.

Here are the opening titles from that episode, preceded by the three-day-old BBC1 balloon. Wink

A glance at Genome reveals that John and Ally were joined by Frankie Dettori, Phil Tufnell, Alison Nicholas and Denise Lewis. Now, if you had said then that Dettori and Tuffers would go on to become captains themselves...
watchingtv and dvboy gave kudos

Newer posts