Mass Media & Technology

What you do when setting up a TV

(July 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Odd stuff on the edges of the picture doesn't exist on HD broadcasts.

Whilst it is less widespread - you certainly do see issues on some HD broadcasts.

The vast majority of the time I've been watching HD TV (for the last seven years) I've not noticed enough issues to warrant turning it off. Though as an anorak being able to see bits beyond the edge of the screen is more interesting than annoying to me.
NG
noggin Founding member

Whilst it is less widespread - you certainly do see issues on some HD broadcasts.

The vast majority of the time I've been watching HD TV (for the last seven years) I've not noticed enough issues to warrant turning it off. Though as an anorak being able to see bits beyond the edge of the screen is more interesting than annoying to me.

That's not the same thing as 'doesn't exist' though... Smile

(I've been watching off-air HD since the 2006 BBC Crystal Palace DVB-T tests, though first saw demos in the late 80s, one of which was early 3D HD)

Safe areas will be with us for a while yet... Let's just hope we escape the mess of misunderstanding that is 720x576 vs 702x576... At least with HD the active video signal is usually the same shape as the TV screen it is displayed on.

14 days later

MA
mapperuo

Funny you mention being an anorak aspect. I remember watching the X Factor live shows and the steadicam would always have a purple line down the right hand side of the screen, all the other cameras were fine. Found that interesting personally rather than annoying too!

Another one is if theres a graphic full screen, usually the bottom of the screen you can see the camera selected behind it.
CR
Critique
On Good Morning Britain on the ITV Hub I always notice that there's a small gap at the bottom of the ITV graphic used at the TOTH, where you can see the camera cued underneath.
DK
DanielK
On Good Morning Britain on the ITV Hub I always notice that there's a small gap at the bottom of the ITV graphic used at the TOTH, where you can see the camera cued underneath.

Looks to be a GMB issue, all of their full frame graphics seem to do that.
NG
noggin Founding member

Looks to be a GMB issue, all of their full frame graphics seem to do that.

That suggests their full frame graphics are keyed over their output rather than cut up as full-frame sources.
MY
MY83
See also Blockbusters
PE
peterrocket Founding member

That would be common from when DVE machines like the Charisma were separate and often needed to be overlaid on top of the video they were revealing.

you can see the same thing here, where they mixed to the keyed signal just at 15 seconds, presumably using black.
NL
Ne1L C
With me its the sound. I have a samsung 32inch tv and I sometimes have to cycle through the various audio modes. "clear voice" is a completer misnomer
HA
harshy Founding member
Nowadays, the first setting I change is to turn the sharpness to 0. The horrible white halo around everything on HD isn't something I can bear.

I've gone mine set to 4 mainly because the BBC uk hd channels seem to look soft compared to sky or broadcast feeds.
BA
Bail Moderator
Am I only one who pulls up colour bars... I guess I was always taught using them so by extension I do with my consumer stuff too. Can I post a picture of my amazing new office whiteboard thats totally a testcard?

Edit: Showing it anyway because #geek

WH
Whitnall
Despite my best efforts, I've not be able to replicate the clear and vibrant image I can get on my 2009 LCD Samsung TV on my new one. Despite the fact that my new Samsung which is 4k LED and cost double the price, it just won't do the picture as good. Even 4K stuff does not have the same clarity as my cheap 2009 set.

Newer posts