TV Home Forum

Shows that people forget or get lost in time

Classic shows you remember, but the public might not (July 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Looney Toons and Disney were both on ITV at some point, though Looney Toons ultimately IIRC became a staple of Children's ITV and Disney had tie-ins previously with the Disney Club and similar, that setup for months which straddled the 9:25am changeover - think the programme(s) ran 8am-10:25am on Sunday mornings.
:-(
A former member
Looney Toons and Disney were both on ITV at some point, though Looney Toons ultimately IIRC became a staple of Children's ITV and Disney had tie-ins previously with the Disney Club and similar, that setup for months which straddled the 9:25am changeover - think the programme(s) ran 8am-10:25am on Sunday mornings.

I wonder if we would have gotten more Disney cartoons during the week if Disney never joined GMTV? Pre93 you would get plenty of disney stuff on CITY, come post93 none.

ITV also created "Whats up Doc" saturday morning show( STV dealing with it,) Batman and Animaniacs along with Taz-Mania were big hits for the saturday mornings while Tiny toons was one of the biggest hits for CITV.

Disney Club 8am-10:25am didn't last long per say it was done a few times, when it was spilt a new show called Disney Adventures appeared
JA
james-2001
I'm sure the Disney club spanning the GMTV/ITV split went on for a good few years.
FA
fanoftv
Up until early 98 GMTV featured Roadhog on a Sunday morning presented by Paul 'Des' Ballard who starred in the Disney Club during the Craig Doyle era, so there was a big crossover. As far as I remember when DiGGiT launched in 98 on GMTV, CITV handled the Sunday morning slot rather than the Disney Club. This was definitely in place by the time of the CiTV relaunch with Stephen & Dannielle.

As for Disney programmes on ITV, there were a few programmes, notably recess that featured on CITV around their half toon weeks.
NJ
Disney programmes weren't in question, quite a bit of the Disney Channel programming eventually found its way to CITV or at least in a CITV type-block - that irritating "sitcom" with the Sprouse brothers for one that started a wave of Disney show spin-offs and crossovers between shows.

The old school cartoons on the other hand - the original wave of Mickey, Donald and friends - only now occasionally appear as fillers on Disney Channel (or sometimes Channel 5) and they used to appear quite regularly on ITV. The other well known Disney production, Silly Symphonies, was still being aired off and on as late as the 1980s despite being, it says here, out of production since 1939.
CN
CNash
Stay Tooned, with Tony Robinson:

Stay Tooned focused almost exclusively on Warner Bros., MGM and independent animation. In one episode, Tony responded to letters from viewers asking why he didn't cover any of the Disney shorts, saying (quite candidly, for a show aimed at children) that it was due to ITV having exclusive rights to Disney material, meaning that his BBC-produced show couldn't cover them.
A former member
That's not how I remember it. It was because it cost to much money to broadcast them.
CN
CNash
Perhaps my memory is faulty. So few of those Stay Tooned episodes have made it out onto YouTube, and my own collection was lost or taped over years ago. I can only go by what I recall from having watched those recordings enough to drive my mother insane... Razz
A former member
It could be combine of point? Cost to much money because itv has them 😂

I agree very little have ever appear yet there a great database

Mind your can you Remeber when There broadcast a Tom and Jerry who were on a pirate ship and the captain said get off my bloody ship?
NJ
The Tom & Jerry "get off my bloody ship" may be true but the entire audio and soundtrack for those cartoons was redone in the 1990s from scratch for various reasons, primarily because the lady of the house was black and presented in a way that's now seen as racist (they even went as far as rotoscoping her out at one point), but also because MGM had a vault fire in the 1960s which, amongst other things, took the masters of Tom & Jerry with it. So if "bloody ship" existed originally it probably doesn't in the redubs.
LL
Larry the Loafer
The same happened when Tom and Jerry got chased by cannibals. So much panning and scanning in such a short amount of time, it's hardly worth syndicating. I stand by what Whoopi Goldberg says at the start of the DVD releases. As wrong as the depictions were, we can't pretend they never existed.
A former member
Well this might be a good time for this:

Newer posts