TV Home Forum

Inconsistencies with re-branding?

(August 2017)

DE
DE88 UTV Newsline
The Chronicles of Narnia, which aired in late 1989, also used the new logo and corporate font before it became regularly used

Except...

Also, to be pedantic, it was Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader that aired at this time (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe aired in late '88, and The Silver Chair in late '90).

Embarassed Smile Wink
"What is two plus two?" "Rather more than three." "Yes, but can you be more specific?" "The Belgians."
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
So the logo varied between episodes then?
DE
DE88 UTV Newsline
So the logo varied between episodes then?

Well, I've seen all six episodes of PC/VDT on YouTube with the 1972 logo and upright "MCMLXXXIX"...

I won't upload all six at once - so I'll instead upload the last part of the last episode (which first aired on Christmas Eve '89, for the record).

"What is two plus two?" "Rather more than three." "Yes, but can you be more specific?" "The Belgians."
JA
There must be 2 versions then- that's confusing!
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Maybe the credits were updated on a post-1991 repeat airing?
SW
Steve Williams
JAS84 posted:
Maybe the credits were updated on a post-1991 repeat airing?

Well, the repeats they showed over Christmas in the early nineties were an hour-long omnibus of two episodes, so presumably they'd remade the credits to cover both individual episodes.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member London London
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing copyright in the 1990 style on the odd occasion in 1989, but it's so long ago, I have no idea on which programme(s).

From episode 6 of the 1973 Look and Read serial Joe and the Sheep Rustlers, which had to be reassembled from the film elements for broadcast on CBBC in 2003, an example of an attempt at re-creating credits and copyright in the roughly the same style as the original, even though the BBC logo isn't the correct version for the time and the fonts aren't right, but at least they tried!

(Image from http://www.broadcastforschools.co.uk/ )
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member London London
Didn't they stick the 1997 BBC logo in the opening titles of some Bergerac repeats a while ago?
:-(
A former member
Yes..
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing copyright in the 1990 style on the odd occasion in 1989, but it's so long ago, I have no idea on which programme(s).

From episode 6 of the 1973 Look and Read serial Joe and the Sheep Rustlers, which had to be reassembled from the film elements for broadcast on CBBC in 2003, an example of an attempt at re-creating credits and copyright in the roughly the same style as the original, even though the BBC logo isn't the correct version for the time and the fonts aren't right, but at least they tried!

Interesting. I don't suppose anyone else catches the Dad's Army repeats on BBC Two from time to time? The end credits on some episodes look to me like they've been digitally recreated, but they're very authentic, using the right font.

But… they use a 'BBC tv' logo in this style.

Wouldn't it have used the more rounded version of the boxes and said BBC Colour?
RW
Robert Williams Founding member London London
Interesting. I don't suppose anyone else catches the Dad's Army repeats on BBC Two from time to time? The end credits on some episodes look to me like they've been digitally recreated, but they're very authentic, using the right font.

But… they use a 'BBC tv' logo in this style.

Wouldn't it have used the more rounded version of the boxes and said BBC Colour?

I'm not sure if the Dad's Army credits were ever remade, but up until 1972 the standard format was /B/B/C/ /tv/ in the style of that globe, without the word 'COLOUR', and without the copyright notice. In 1972 it switches to /B/B/C/ COLOUR with rounded boxes and the copyright date with 'BBC' in plain text. (There may be a crossover period with /B/B/C/ COLOUR but without the copyright date).

This reminds me of another oddity - the 1982 series of Sorry! with Ronnie Corbett strangely reverted to the 1976/77 format, complete with the word 'COLOUR' some four years after it was dropped, in this style:

/B/B/C/ COLOUR (c) BBC MCMLXXXII

Much like those episodes of Maid Marian and Playdays that ended up using a style that had been dropped a few years earlier, it's hard to understand how this happened, especially since the first series of Sorry! in 1981 used the correct style.
Last edited by Robert Williams on 9 August 2017 1:06pm
JA
I know with Fawlty Towers they did a remastering which involved rescanning the original film inserts that still exist, and digitally extracting the captions from the original episide and superimposing them over the new transfers. They did the same with the DVD releases of Doctor Who. Maybe they've done it with Dad's Army as well?

Newer posts