TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OR
orange

I like that arrangement of BBC Sport and BBC One logos (although a BBC should be added to the "one" if used on its own)

I was wondering the other day if BBC would be daring enough to simplify their channel branding similar how to VRT (Flemish Belgium's broadcaster) branded their main channels (they renamed the 2 channels 'Een' - which means one and 'Canvas')
I wonder what effect just calling BBC's main channels 'One' and 'Two' without the BBC tag line would have.
RE
Rex
T0M posted:
I just want the BBC One globe back!

I think it's time to step forward with the branding and not backwards.

Wholeheartedly agree. Returning to tradition would please some, but would it really represent BBC ONE in this day and age?

Even the prospect of bringing back old idents looks unlikely. The BBC, with their new Reith font, looks seriously committed to associating the brand with a uniform look.

In contrast, bringing something entirely new would revitalise the branding, something that has been zapped away with the Oneness idents.
VM
VMPhil
I just want the BBC One globe back!

I was watching the 2002 idents recently and realised how odd they look now. Like a mini music video before your programme starts. The visuals and soundtrack were well made but were always at odds with a lot of what was starting afterwards. Detached from the years of getting used to them introducing programmes, they just seem plain weird now.

In comparison the initial 1997 idents still look stunning, capturing Britain from the air, with just the right soundtrack compatible with any mood of programming. They won't use the balloon anymore, of course, but I'd still love idents in this style showing off both urban and rural landscapes of the UK.

JA
james-2001
They're still better than a bunch of people posing for a photo, then milling around after a few seconds.
GL
globaltraffic24
I forgot how striking the soundtrack was. The idents reflected the BBC of the time - bold and self-confident. If the BBC is to survive, it needs to inject some of that back into its corporate identity, and quickly.
GM
nodnirG kraM
Better is rather a strong word, particularly with the pejorative way you have described the comparison.

To reverse what you have said: "The Oneness theme is better than a bunch of random helicopter shots from round the country with a stupid red and orange balloon milling around for a few seconds."

Does the balloon better-reflect the values of the channel? Is it a stronger brand identity? Does it reach out to the viewer in a better way? Possibly. Does it adequately reflect transgender disabled prejudice? No. How are you going to get a wheelchair into a hot air balloon??
SP
Steve in Pudsey
How are you going to get a wheelchair into a hot air balloon??

Like this

https://www.adventureballoons.co.uk/article/balloon-flights-for-wheelchair-users
GM
nodnirG kraM
Berk.
ME
Meteor2
Serious question, could the BBC re-use the balloon idents from a technical point of view? I.e. were they recorded on film, and is it still available?
ME
Meteor2
I agree that BBC One should have a numerical logo, but I think the current 2 is just as outdated as the 1.

The '1' looked old at the time, being 1920s style. The '2', by comparison, is utterly timeless. Deliberate choices, for sure.

I don't think the three lines for Three works, quite frankly. It's just... Three lines, one with a bit missing.
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Does the balloon better-reflect the values of the channel? Is it a stronger brand identity? Does it reach out to the viewer in a better way? Possibly. Does it adequately reflect transgender disabled prejudice? No. How are you going to get a wheelchair into a hot air balloon??

Speaking as a transvestite, I would prefer the hot air balloons to come back.

In my crossdressing opinion, and I'm sure in the opinions of my cis-clothes wearers, the affection for the hot air balloon idents is far greater than any other ident package before or after.

Even social justice warriors like yourself must see that, petal. Thumbs up Arrow Thumbs up Zipper Mad Laughing Cool Very Happy Rolling Eyes
DS
DarthSidious
Better is rather a strong word, particularly with the pejorative way you have described the comparison.

To reverse what you have said: "The Oneness theme is better than a bunch of random helicopter shots from round the country with a stupid red and orange balloon milling around for a few seconds."

I don't know how much more inclusive you could be than a globe showing the Earth.

Newer posts