TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
As far as That's Surrey is concerned, Surrey means Guildford and Woking - and if Ofcom's map from 2011 is anything to go by ( https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/image/0028/94492/Guildford.png ), the signal doesn't really make it to any of the county's other main towns. Most of Surrey doesn't receive That's Surrey, so surely it should be called 'That's Guildford'? I'm sure the same is true in many other cases.

I'm not saying these stations should be covering larger areas, as those are the areas they have been licenced to cover, but it's rather that the naming seems to imply that they do. How can a television channel covering such a small area ever be viable? That's TV haven't managed to update their website with a Surrey section yet, and they don't put their schedules on the site anyway, so who knows if they are also just looping round the same programme all day?

It's no different to Eagle Radio saying they cover Surrey and NE Hants, yet their core FM advertising area is Guildford and the surrounding areas.

That's TV have been using the old commercial radio trick of covering a wider area than they actually do, to make the channel more attractive to potential advertisers.

That's North Yorkshire is the most ridiculous of their brand names for the Scarborough area. That's Yorkshire Coast would have been more accurate.
BA
bilky asko
That's North Yorkshire seem to be short of content. So far just one 30 minute news programme per day, which is repeated every 30 minutes over 24 hours. The news stories featuring in the first 15 minutes of the programme get repeated in the second part of the programme. In fact in last nights programme one news story got 3 showings in the same 30 minute programme.

Presumably you're wondering what I was wondering - why didn't I apply for the job, I'm sure I could have done much better?
VM
VMPhil
Just noticed that Made in Liverpool’s news bulletin still has a 2016 copyright date.
LL
Bay TV Swansea - Today on Bay TV. A daytime chat show co-presented by former Price-Drop TV assistant Rachel Hopkins.

LL
KMTV - Kent Tonight.

SC
scarbados
I can't work out what That's North Yorkshire are doing! The last couple of days they have had a mix of That's York on screen graphics, and also That's North Yorkshire. For a channel that is supposed to be serving Scarborough, there appears to be a lot of York and Bridlington stories, even though That's North Yorkshire can't be viewed in those area's. Bridlington is in East Yorkshire. Are they putting the same content out on both the York and Scarborough channels?
UB
UBox
I can't work out what That's North Yorkshire are doing!
I don't think That's North Yorkshire can work out what That's North Yorkshire is doing.
LL
None of this surprises me. One of the reasons the journalists all sign off as "That's TV" instead of the local name is so they can stretch out the news minutes with 'news' from neighbouring channels.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
None of this surprises me. One of the reasons the journalists all sign off as "That's TV" instead of the local name is so they can stretch out the news minutes with 'news' from neighbouring channels.

Don't ITV do the same thing?
SC
scarbados

I thought the aim of Local TV was to be...'local'. If their news programme has news from a wider area, it makes it no different to Look North or Calendar, except the news for the wider area can't be viewed in the wider area.
LL

Don't ITV do the same thing?

In some regions, yes.
MA
Markymark
As far as That's Surrey is concerned, Surrey means Guildford and Woking - and if Ofcom's map from 2011 is anything to go by ( https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/image/0028/94492/Guildford.png ), the signal doesn't really make it to any of the county's other main towns. Most of Surrey doesn't receive That's Surrey, so surely it should be called 'That's Guildford'? I'm sure the same is true in many other cases.

I'm not saying these stations should be covering larger areas, as those are the areas they have been licenced to cover, but it's rather that the naming seems to imply that they do. How can a television channel covering such a small area ever be viable? That's TV haven't managed to update their website with a Surrey section yet, and they don't put their schedules on the site anyway, so who knows if they are also just looping round the same programme all day?

By the way, That's Surrey is currently running on very reduced power, and a restricted pattern (less than the Ofcom map suggests) It's a temporary lash up until major work is performed on the Guildford mast later this year to prepare for 700 MHz clearance. Once that's done, coverage should match the Ofcom map

Newer posts