The Newsroom

1997 General Election rerun on BBC Parliament

(August 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
The 1997 General Election will be shown on BBC Parliament on September 4th. It was due to be aired over the May bank holiday, but it was postponed due to the Election.

HC
Hatton Cross
Are there stuck together pages on the calendars at BBC Parliament?
Why not one week earlier, on the August Bank Holiday?
Footballer, Stuart and Ben Shatliff gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Whats the chances of this one having to be cancelled as well due to another snap election!
IS
Inspector Sands
Whats the chances of this one having to be cancelled as well due to another snap election!

Unlikely in the recess
JA
james-2001
Will this version be the "clean" version they've shown before, or have they dug up an as broadcast version with the name captions, results straps and credits?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Busy on Monday 4 September?

Well yes, and I imagine most of the population is, first Monday in September is hardly known as a quiet day!

Why not the bank holiday weekend?
HC
Hatton Cross
According to a reply to a tweet saying exactly this, BBC Parliament say 'as Parliament returns from the summer recess on Tuesday 5th September, it's being shown the day before 'to get everyone in the mood'.

Pretty feeble reasoning.

Read as 'can't be bothered to ask for someone to mind the shop on the Bank Holiday, so you'll have to do with a week later when everyone is back at Millbank and we can swerve on the overtime payments.'
SW
Steve Williams
BBC Parliament are devoting twelve hours plus of its schedule to archive programming, and all it gets is moans that it's on the "wrong" day. I have something called a recorder, I would recommend it.
RI
Richard
According to a reply to a tweet saying exactly this, BBC Parliament say 'as Parliament returns from the summer recess on Tuesday 5th September, it's being shown the day before 'to get everyone in the mood'.

Pretty feeble reasoning.

Read as 'can't be bothered to ask for someone to mind the shop on the Bank Holiday, so you'll have to do with a week later when everyone is back at Millbank and we can swerve on the overtime payments.'

Why would an Election rebroadcast require more staffing than BBC Parliament's normal schedules?

What I'd like to see again is BBC 2's "Election Night Armistice" a 3-hour version of Armando Iannucci's comedy programme which was broadcast that night (although not in Scotland or Wales).
EL
elmarko
I think that's all on YouTube but yes a repeat somewhere would be nice
HC
Hatton Cross
BBC Parliament are devoting twelve hours plus of its schedule to archive programming, and all it gets is moans that it's on the "wrong" day. I have something called a recorder, I would recommend it.

Was expecting a casual mention for the iPlayer catchup as well.. Wink

I take all your points on board, however, the archive 'binge' days have in the main, been on Saturdays or a Bank Holiday, when you can dip in and out when spare time allows.

A weekday workday to put one of these out is very off form for BBCP hence the louder than normal moans.
SW
Steve Williams
When they repeated 1987 for the first time in 2005, that was on a Monday, and because it was still the days of VHS, I had to go home from work at lunchtime to change the tapes over. We had to work for our archivery in those days. Kids these days want everything handed to them on a bloody plate.

Newer posts