TV Home Forum

Watchdog

The programme you can probably afford to miss (November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
L89 posted:
DJGM posted:
For whatever reason, last night's episode is not yet available on BBC iPlayer. Is there some technical or legal reason why it hasn't been uploaded yet? It's usually up within a few hours after broadcast. I missed the show last night. Did something go wrong?

The dogs in the studio had name tags and these have been blurred out on iPlayer. So not anything relating to companies investigated.

I wonder if they had readable addresses on them.
CR
Critique
Ah! I remember when watching live that one of the dogs had a very clear phone number on the tag on their collar!!

16 days later

SI
simpfeld
Anyone know why the camera crews on Rouge Traders seem to have:

1/ A "gopro" camera fitted to the front of the broadcast quality camera (see 54:37 on Episode 5 of Series 38 on the iPlayer)

2/ The second camera in use by another team member, seems to be a more semipro model. Why not just use two broadcast quality camera?
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Anyone know why the camera crews on Rouge Traders seem to have:

1/ A "gopro" camera fitted to the front of the broadcast quality camera (see 54:37 on Episode 5 of Series 38 on the iPlayer)

2/ The second camera in use by another team member, seems to be a more semipro model. Why not just use two broadcast quality camera?

1) it gives a different angle - useful for edits and interesting cutaways showing the person is being filmed, by showing a camera in shot.

2) because it's cheaper to give a researcher a handheld camera than get a full sized camera and op.
DA
davidhorman

1) it gives a different angle - useful for edits and interesting cutaways showing the person is being filmed, by showing a camera in shot.

It's mounted right above the lens of the main camera though, so it wouldn't show the camera in shot, and the angle would hardly be any different.

The only thing I can think of is that it makes it harder for someone to block the shot with a hand - they can block the main lens, or the GoPro, but not both at once.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Or perhaps it's there to record any potential damage to the main camera caused by a disgruntled rogue trader.
LL
London Lite Founding member
On a recent edition of Can't Pay, Won't Pay, the crew were attacked by teenagers throwing stones associated to the person who owned a premises which was all caught on the Go Pros which injured a cameraman.
JO
Jon
This has come up before, it's just a back up if your camera fails or is damaged. You've only got one chance to record the confrontation.
MA
mapperuo
They've had confrontations end up with them grabbing the main camera lens to block it. GoPro with fisheye would give a great view of this. Also they are so cheap, why not.
OL
theoldtapeman
Did Sophie Raworth and Michelle Ackerley, say she was leaving Watchdog at the end of last series? Because it doesn't seem, like they are part of the presenting team anymore. I think Watchdog was at it's best, presented by Nicky Campbell, Julia Bradbury and Paul Heiney. Anyone else thinks that?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Did Sophie Raworth and Michelle Ackerley, say she was leaving Watchdog at the end of last series? Because it doesn't seem, like they are part of the presenting team anymore. I think Watchdog was at it's best, presented by Nicky Campbell, Julia Bradbury and Paul Heiney. Anyone else thinks that?

I don't think so, but the show is a lot better without Ackerley who is more suited to fluff and Raworth.
ST
Stedixon
I think they've got the presenting team right this series.

Newer posts