TV Home Forum

Generation Game to be brought back with Mel and Sue

Four episodes planned (July 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Not really sure who "owned" Mr Blobby as such or even who owns him today but he was originally created for the Gotcha segments in the early episodes of House Party, and then when they had to find a new use for him the character just seemed to take on a life of his own - Christmas number 1 in 1993, merchandise, videos, the ill-fated theme park venture, the appearances of him on Generation Game and other shows since... And the character managed to outlive the House Party and is still going today 25 odd years later. His popularity in the 1990s would have probably been today's equivalent of going viral. Still it takes all sorts I suppose.
:-(
A former member
It was strange he would appear on L&K, then gem game then house party. Its was like he was everywhere. In sure he appeared on grandstand once meaning you had a full day of him.
HC
Hatton Cross
The deep irony of course was that Mr Blobby was created for the gotcha stings, luring celebrities in to appearing in a fake children's television programme - which the production then slowly fell into partly scripted chaos and anarchy.

The character then became a mainstay of real children's programming.
So probably the first case of a invented parody character, then becoming 'legit'.
Last edited by Hatton Cross on 25 July 2017 7:54am
IS
Inspector Sands
Looking forward to seeing what they do with it. The addition of the "celebrity judges" seems unnecessary to the format but who knows?

I'm pretty sure that Gen Game has had 'celebrity' judges before. In games where there's not an expert teaching them something and weren't points based I'm sure they used to get a famous guest on to score them
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Looking forward to seeing what they do with it. The addition of the "celebrity judges" seems unnecessary to the format but who knows?

I'm pretty sure that Gen Game has had 'celebrity' judges before. In games where there's not an expert teaching them something and weren't points based I'm sure they used to get a famous guest on to score them

It definitely happened but I couldn't tell you the calibre of those who came on to "score" things. Although that being said regardless of who did the judging there was often sod all to judge on particularly with those baking or making tasks they used to do where the expert made something beautiful in two seconds and Fred and Daphne's effort after three minutes looked like it had been in an earthquake.
DE88, fanoftv and Lou Scannon gave kudos

12 days later

NA
Nathan
I have a couple of Generation Game episodes on one of my YouTube channels and I received this comment yesterday..

A former member
My only requirement for applying is there bring back this theme sung by mel and sue...

DE
DE88
My only requirement for applying is there bring back this theme sung by mel and sue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfNDSn0-5MY

Ahem...

Asa posted:
It at least gives the chance to go for some new music/titles. Although Brucie's was the most memorable, Larry and Jim had their own theme so there isn't a nostalgia factor holding them back from doing something totally new .

Embarassed Smile Wink

133 days later

A former member
Im lead to believe it will be launching in the first week of January? Does anyone know how many episodes have been order? Four episodes planned but is that rubber stamped?
RO
Ronant
Im lead to believe it will be launching in the first week of January? Does anyone know how many episodes have been order? Four episodes planned but is that rubber stamped?

You’ve been led to believe incorrectly on that one. It’s not in the schedule for the first couple of Saturdays.

88 days later

DC
DCI02

The trailer has been released, still no airdate though.
HC
Hatton Cross
Didn't take very long to crowbar cakes into the trail did it?
As for when this will air? Are the Easter schedules out yet.

Maybe Easter Saturday/Bank Holiday Monday evening?
(I know it's a death slot if the weather managed to pick up, but given the time from recording to transmission, it would surprise me if the BBC are looking to bury it in plain sight)

Newer posts