TV Home Forum

Generation Game to be brought back with Mel and Sue

Four episodes planned (July 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
steddenm
From the BBC:

Quote:
Former Great British Bake Off hosts Mel & Sue are to host the return of BBC classic show The Generation Game.
It has been commissioned for an initial four-episode run, although a launch date has yet to be set.
"It's a cuddly toy, it's a toaster, it's a circular power saw, no it's Mel and Sue doing the Generation Game! We can't believe it, we are so excited!" the hosts said.

The new show will combine aspects of the original series with new games.

Perkins had hinted earlier this month on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs that the presenting duo might reunite for another TV project soon, after quitting The Great British Bake Off last year when the BBC lost the rights to Channel 4.
"I'm very hopeful Mel and I will do some pratting about, but I couldn't tell you exactly what yet. Possibly some prime-time pratting," she told Kirsty Young.

BBC Studios said audiences had identified the Generation Game as "the TV show that viewers most wanted to see back on their screens".

The show sees pairs of family members across generations take part in performance and task-based games, with the ultimate goal of facing the Conveyor Belt, and taking home prizes.

All the family pairs will start the show in the studio audience and only find out which game they are playing when Mel and Sue announce them.

A panel of star judges will score the pairs after each game and decide which will get to face the Conveyor Belt.
Charlotte Moore, the director of BBC content, said: "The Generation Game is an iconic BBC One show, so to be able to bring it back for today's audience with Mel and Sue overseeing things is a wonderful moment for the channel."
The Generation Game began on BBC One in 1971, with Sir Bruce Forsyth as its longest-serving host.

Finally the BBC are seeing sense and bringing back something that the public has wanted for a while. I know there was talk a while ago about Miranda Hart bringing it back (and think a pilot was filmed) but nothing came of it.
BH
BillyH Founding member
They've basically been trying to bring it back since it ended. Pilots have happened with Paul O'Grady, Graham Norton and Miranda Hart, but I think all of them have stalled as none of the hosts actually wanted to do it. Think Norton's was the only one to get shown.

It only ended in 2002 because Pop Idol had just started on ITV, which utterly thrashed it in the ratings and made the show look about a hundred years old.
LS
Lou Scannon
I despise with a passion the BBC News website article, which spectacularly fails to mention any previous host by name other than Brucie (nor specify any years that the show ran, other than Brucie's two eras). I therefore consider it to be a p*ss poor article.

I like the idea of it having a genuinely equal duo as hosts, rather than a "main host" with a mere "assistant".
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 23 July 2017 6:55am
FA
fanoftv
The article makes it sound a little different with pairs being called from the audience (The price is right style?) and I'm hoping I'm reading too much into "A panel of star judges will score the pairs after each game and decide which will face the conveyor belt", to me that sounds like a row of judges sat through the show rather than the experts from the challenges scoring them.

Mel & Sue are brilliant presenters who will do incredibly well.
CU
Custard56
I despise with a passion the BBC News website article, which spectacularly fails to mention any previous host by name other than Brucie (nor specify any years that the show ran, other than Brucie's two eras). I therefore consider it to be a p*ss poor article.

I like the idea of it having a genuinely equal duo as hosts, rather than a "main host" with a mere "assistant".

Larry Grayson is an oversight but I prefer to obliterate the memory of Jim Davidson's tenure on the show, personally.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Star judges, Mel and Sue, Price is Right style pulling them out of the audience. My idea of hell.
BL
bluecortina
BBC+Mel&Sue = ITV+Ant&Dec
BR
Brekkie
BBC+Mel&Sue = ITV+Ant&Dec-£9.5m
BU
buster
They've basically been trying to bring it back since it ended. Pilots have happened with Paul O'Grady, Graham Norton and Miranda Hart, but I think all of them have stalled as none of the hosts actually wanted to do it. Think Norton's was the only one to get shown.

It only ended in 2002 because Pop Idol had just started on ITV, which utterly thrashed it in the ratings and made the show look about a hundred years old.

The ratings did decline quite spectacularly for the last series. But the show itself had become totally ridiculous by that point - fully of slapstick and self-indulgent nonsense direct from Davidson's brain - that it was time to call it a day. I can't imagine it was that hard for BBC1 to say goodbye to Jim Davidson either, he was a bit of a dinosaur by that point yet was all over the channel.

I found a Facebook group once for old Gen Game staff, called something like "We survived working with Jim Davidson"
DE88, Custard56 and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Yet Jim come back to the BBC to record Commercial breakdown in late 2003
IS
Inspector Sands
Yet Jim come back to the BBC to record Commercial breakdown in late 2003

Which probably deserves an entry on the 'long lost shows' thread for all the impact it made.

But the show itself had become totally ridiculous by that point - fully of slapstick and self-indulgent nonsense direct from Davidson's brain - that it was time to call it a day.

I seem to remember that it was just an excuse to get his mates and long forgotten prog rockers on the telly. Lots of cameos by Jess Conrad too
AS
Asa Admin

The final series opening titles should be a giveaway (1m25s), all sketches and Jim being stupid by the look of it. I think I was probably still watching by that point but have since blanked it out of my mind.

Good luck to Mel and Sue, just a short run to test the waters I guess. It was always one of those shows that they clearly wanted to bring back but for whatever reason never previously got beyond non-broadcast pilots.

I don't see why everything has to have celeb judges though? Just get people who know what they're talking about to individually judge it like they used to.

It at least gives the chance to go for some new music/titles. Although Brucie's was the most memorable, Larry and Jim had their own theme so there isn't a nostalgia factor holding them back from doing something totally new.

Newer posts