TV Home Forum

BBC Four falls off air - Sun 16 July

Barenboim rendered barren (July 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CL
Closedown
Fans of apology slides had a bonanza during tonight's Prom on BBC4 - the picture froze for a few seconds at 20.50 and we had a full nine minutes of holding caption before resuming.

I'm assuming it's a slightly delayed relay, as R3 bills the concert as starting at 7.45, and BBC4's version kicked off at eight. In any event, quite a lengthy period for a major channel to fall off-air for.
VM
VMPhil
Ooh yes, one of my TiVo’s tuners just happened to be on BBC Four from a prior recording so I’ve managed to rewind and see. Doesn’t appear to be any live continuity announcer telling people what’s happening, nor music, just silent with the animated slide.
DB
dbl
9 minutes of dead air - not good.
CL
Closedown
I assumed they had a canned apology on standby; apparently not.
Tom Service, presenting, did apologise between the end of the Elgar and the encore.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It's a shame the TV feed is delayed, they could at least have continued in sound only by pres having a feed of Radio 3 to fall back on.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
No apology from the CA at the end of the concert, although they did say the following programme was later than billed due to the over-running Proms coverage.
TE
tesandco Founding member
Hardly even worth uploading, but you never know, someone might really like the animation - so have a short snippet of it. Please do all try and contain your excitement though...

(Personally I can't help but think adding a big bouncing 2 in the background would have improved this no end!)
GM
nodnirG kraM
They should instead be apologising for the tautology on the apology caption.

One expects better of BBC Four. I shall be reinstating my subscription immediately.
AE
AlexEdohHD13
Hardly even worth uploading, but you never know, someone might really like the animation - so have a short snippet of it. Please do all try and contain your excitement though...

(Personally I can't help but think adding a big bouncing 2 in the background would have improved this no end!)

Agreed.
DA
davidhorman
They should instead be apologising for the tautology on the apology caption.

What tautology? Confused
GM
nodnirG kraM
What tautology? Confused

It is already understood from the first pronoun who is dealing with the situation. Any further mention of oneself is nothing short of narcissism. Such an unattractive quality in a caption. A semicolon would adequately have delivered the message without the need for the words "and", or, of course, the second "we". I reckon the caption-writer is being paid a commission on a word-count basis. How else could you explain her mention in the list of top-paid BBC talent?

Once again a sign that the BBC is a load of old crap.
MM
MMcG198
What tautology? Confused

It is already understood from the first pronoun who is dealing with the situation. Any further mention of oneself is nothing short of narcissism. Such an unattractive quality in a caption. A semicolon would adequately have delivered the message without the need for the words "and", or, of course, the second "we". I reckon the caption-writer is being paid a commission on a word-count basis. How else could you explain her mention in the list of top-paid BBC talent?

Once again a sign that the BBC is a load of old crap.

Yes, very badly worded. Quite why the major UK broadcasters can't seem to properly assemble one or two short sentences on these breakdown captions is beyond me.

And then there's the matter of how inept some of our announcers are during breakdowns. This is something that should be well rehearsed. Yet time and time again, they trip over themselves and spew out one poorly constructed sentence after another.

Newer posts