TV Home Forum

French TV

Old and new (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
It's always interesting to take a quick look at French TV ratings. Here are the rankings for June, with month-to-month and year-to-year comparisons:

http://static1.ozap.com/articles/programme/mediamatjuin17-2.jpg

Source: http://www.ozap.com/actu/audiences-juin-tf1-sous-les-20-pire-mois-historique-pour-canal-rmc-et-numero-23-au-plus-haut/531447

BFM TV continues not just to outperform its news rivals by a huge margin, but it also gets higher ratings than several general-entertainment channels. Interestingly, the public service news channel France Info doesn't show up on this list at all.

M6 has seen a huge year-to-year drop.

EDIT: It apparently takes a while for the pic to load. If that happens, you can follow the link above.
LL
London Lite Founding member
CNEWS has been damaged by last year's strikes as i>Télé, but LCI has lost all the gains from CNEWS with viewers switching to BFMTV instead with a healthy 3% share, despite being 0.4% down.
MI
Mike516
Shame that BFM TV has gone encrypted on Astra 1 - reducing its coverage to just those with TNTSAT or Canal+ satellite receivers. Until the beginning of this month it was free-to-air and available in HD to anyone with any type of satellite receiver on Astra 1.
Last edited by Mike516 on 13 July 2017 3:43pm
WW
WW Update
a516 posted:
Shame that BFM TV has gone encrypted on Astra 1 - reducing its coverage to just those with TNTSAT or Canal+ satellite receivers. Until the beginning of this month it was free-to-air and available in HD to anyone with any type of satellite receiver on Astra 1.

But isn't it available nationwide on TNT (regular terrestrial TV) anyway?
LL
a516 posted:

It is. Worth noting that BFMTV and CNEWS are in HD on TNT and LCI is in SD on that platform.
MI
Mike516
a516 posted:

The point I was making is related to Astra 1 (19.2°E). The new encryption locks out users of non-French satellite equipment.

For example, hotels that had offered BFM alongside other news channels for their international guests now miss out. Also any domestic viewers using generic free-to-air receivers or other platforms based on Astra 1 are locked out.
Incidentally Belgium's AB3 went encrypted at the same time, although that had only been free-to-air for about one year.
Last edited by Mike516 on 15 July 2017 8:38am - 2 times in total
WW Update and London Lite gave kudos
WW
WW Update
a516 posted:
a516 posted:

The point I was making is related to Astra 1 (19.2°E). The new encryption locks out users of non-French satellite equipment.

For example, hotels that had offered BFM alongside other news channels for their international guests now miss out. Also any domestic viewers using generic free-to-air receivers or other platforms based on Astra 1 are locked out.

I wonder why they decided to encrypt their satellite signal, considering that BFM TV is available free-to-air throughout France. Rights issues are one possibility, but they tend to be less of a problem for news channels.
LL
BFMTV's online stream isn't geolocked.

http://www.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/live-video/
LL
France 2 as the rights holders to the Women's Euro 2017 tournament have produced this humourous trail based on it to promote their new female presenters who they've acquired from M6, C8 and France 5. Anne-Sophie Lapix who features at the end is the new presenter of the 8pm news bulletin from September.

LL
France's broadcasting regulator has allowed a request from TF1 to schedule a commercial break during their news bulletin.

Currently all news bulletins are commercial free.
Last edited by London Lite on 20 July 2017 6:29pm

19 days later

HA
harshy Founding member
a516 posted:

I wonder why they decided to encrypt their satellite signal, considering that BFM TV is available free-to-air throughout France. Rights issues are one possibility, but they tend to be less of a problem for news channels.

It's on 5w fta but I think it's not using usual tuning parameters.
DV
DVB Cornwall
There's a new App on AppleTV just released called 'my CANAL' which seems to offer access to a wide slate of French content including almost all the TNT services and more for a subscription.

Newer posts