Doctor Who (2015)

Expectations (July 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Well that's very one sided. 😝
IS
Inspector Sands
Economic arguments are always weak, especially in this case as nobody can accurately forecast the financial impact.

Because the series has an established and regular method to change actors, it's not too difficult to make alterations when required, so in effect the economic argument is null.

And why should there be any concerns over the economic aspect, let the BBC worry about that!
JK
JKDerry
The BBC has taken a gamble, we wait to see if it has worked. There is a very long wait now until Series 11. You can be sure, if Series 11 is a failure, ratings slip further, then Jodie will be kicked out of the TARDIS as fast Colin Baker was kicked out when his time as the doctor tanked the show, he even didn't film his regeneration, it was Sylvester McCoy in a wig in this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HMqJcBFZg

So it looks like we will see one minute of Jodie at the end of the Christmas special, then wait around 8/9 months before an August or September launch of Series 11. Hopefully this will give time for things to calm down.
DE
DE88
You can be sure, if Series 11 is a failure, ratings slip further, then Jodie will be kicked out of the TARDIS as fast Colin Baker was kicked out when his time as the doctor tanked the show

That wasn't Colin's own fault, though, was it? Wink

He, too, thoroughly approves of Jodie and is disappointed by all these "female Doctor = VERY VERY BAD" remarks:

Lou Scannon, MarkT76 and DJGM gave kudos
WH
Whitnall
The BBC has taken a gamble, we wait to see if it has worked. There is a very long wait now until Series 11. You can be sure, if Series 11 is a failure, ratings slip further, then Jodie will be kicked out of the TARDIS as fast Colin Baker was kicked out when his time as the doctor tanked the show, he even didn't film his regeneration, it was Sylvester McCoy in a wig in this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HMqJcBFZg

So it looks like we will see one minute of Jodie at the end of the Christmas special, then wait around 8/9 months before an August or September launch of Series 11. Hopefully this will give time for things to calm down.

Didn't Baker refuse to do the scene?

I don't think it will matter who is in the role, the story lines are rubbish, in my opinion. Even since Davies left it's gone pear shaped.
DW
DavidWhitfield
To people saying that anyone who is unhappy with this decision is sexist or bigoted or a misogynist (I could go on, there's been quite a large number of unsubstantiated and entirely unfair insults flying around over the past 24 hours), I really don't think that branding people as such is at all helpful.

All I've seen is people saying they don't feel like a woman should be playing this specific role. If there's a post on here saying that men should always be chosen over women for gender neutral roles, then I would agree that that is sexist, though there hasn't been any such statement given by anyone.

Bearing in mind this role has hitherto always been played by a man, lots of people feel like this change to the programme's main character will affect the overall feel of the show and are therefore unhappy or uncertain about the announcement.

If the programme had featured an iconic female main character in the beginning and had featured all female Doctors since, you could expect the exact same uneasy reaction from some people had, say, Kris Marshall or another male actor been announced yesterday.

It's not about people hating the idea of a woman playing the part, it's about people not understanding the need to change the gender of such a well established character - whether from male to female or vice versa.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 17 July 2017 4:41pm
MZ
Mr Zzzap
I don't mind the change, I feel the show has become a bit stale of late. So maybe a change will be good.

I am surprised about the negative reaction really. For a show that's always had an underlying message of equality and acceptance. It's a fantasy series, in a fantasy series, anything can happen. It's an alien who can change their appearance in any way and it's always been hinted that genders can change. It was going to happen at some point. I don't see it as "political correctness gone mad", I see it as taking the show in a new direction, it's a gamble on the BBC's part, let's hope it pays off.

Give it a chance, I look forward to the upcoming Christmas special.
PC
p_c_u_k
I've found both the hysterical complaining (not the measured responses but the catastrophically sexist ones) and the gloating "look at what these scumbags are saying" types to be incredibly tiring. It doesn't get anyone anywhere, apart from showing their own ignorance/virtue signalling.

I'm supportive, to be honest, just not vehemently. On the basis of "but the Doctor's always been a man" - well yes, but he was cast in an era when women generally weren't the lead role in shows like this. On that basis if you're keeping the show to exactly what it was when it started you'd be avoiding gay relationships, the Daleks wouldn't fly and the special effects would still be rubbish. Doctor Who has always been about change.

As far as I'm concerned, if there is one role in the whole of British television where the gender of the main character changing is possible, it's the Doctor. The entire point is the character changes his face, body, personality, everything about him every time there's a change. So why not change into a woman?

I'd also imagine that the producers and writers have thought forward and will use this to bring a new side to the Doctor. In all honesty the show has felt like it's been flagging in recent series and only regained its mojo in the last one.

Similar to what I would have been saying had Kris Marshall got the gig - at which point all the cooler than cool types would have been complaining that the BBC had picked a safe choice - I say let's wait and see what the show's like first. I suppose he'd have done a perfectly good job, I suspect the new Doctor will be good as well.
A former member
I'm still allowed to say I think the BBC did this to tick boxes and caved into people complaining instead of picking something who could bring new life into the series. There been complaints for 20 years about this, you dont just change something because people are unhappy etc. That why I'm not impressed. Lets not forget the BBC spin out reports to people in April abouts stuff.

I also believe someone have failed to understand that certain group within in the Who-fandom who just like the simple continuity, that there views.
WO
Worzel
Cavan posted:
Joe posted:
No, honestly - I don't understand why people are not happy. I really don't. I've honestly not seen a single argument why the Doctor shouldn't be portrayed by a woman. I'd be delighted to hear such an argument, because I really would like to understand.

The answer is simple. Prejudice, bigotry, misogyny. That's all.

Add in male chauvinism and patriarchy and we have a royal flush of grossly misused buzzwords.

Whilst misandry and female chauvinism are on the rise.

All I've seen is people saying they don't feel like a woman should be playing this specific role. If there's a post on here saying that men should always be chosen over women for gender neutral roles, then I would agree that that is sexist, though there hasn't been any such statement given by anyone.

Or vice versa.
A former member
What a decent post on this thread!

To people saying that anyone who is unhappy with this decision is sexist or bigoted or a misogynist (I could go on, there's been quite a large number of unsubstantiated and entirely unfair insults flying around over the past 24 hours), I really don't think that branding people as such is at all helpful.

Bearing in mind this role has hitherto always been played by a man, lots of people feel like this change to the programme's main character will affect the overall feel of the show and are therefore unhappy or uncertain about the announcement.

If the programme had featured an iconic female main character in the beginning and had featured all female Doctors since, you could expect the exact same uneasy reaction from some people had, say, Kris Marshall or another male actor been announced yesterday.

It's not about people hating the idea of a woman playing the part, it's about people not understanding the need to change the gender of such a well established character - whether from male to female or vice versa.
JA
JAS84
All I wanted was a good actor. I didn't care if it was a man or a woman, black or white, I just wanted them to pick the best person for the job. The backlash has been disgraceful. Those people remind me of the ones who complained that Capaldi was too old. They're not true fans. Sydney Newman, one of the show's co-creators, wanted the Seventh Doctor to be a woman! If one of the show's founding fathers would've been happy with it, then why can't we all be.

Newer posts