TV Home Forum

Doctor Who (2015)

Expectations (July 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Joe posted:
OH no, that not getting thrown around, I have nothing against that woman, but to say stupid comments like that is not helpful. Zipper

I'm not sure it's any less helpful than claiming it's a box-ticking exercise - for which there is absolutely no evidence.

For years there been demands that a woman should be the new Doctor, for no good reason. The BBC would have to prove without reasonable doubt this change was not because of those calls. It's not like there isn't any powerful female lead roles on tv, there plenty.
JA
Jake
Joe posted:
OH no, that not getting thrown around, I have nothing against that woman, but to say stupid comments like that is not helpful. Zipper

I'm not sure it's any less helpful than claiming it's a box-ticking exercise - for which there is absolutely no evidence.

For years there been demands that a woman should be the new Doctor, for no good reason. The BBC would have to prove without reasonable doubt this change was not because of those calls. It's not like there isn't any powerful female lead roles on tv, there plenty.

The showrunner wanted to cast a woman, it's well established that Timelords can change gender. What's the issue?
ST
Stuart
I'm no fan so I stand to be corrected but wasn't there supposedly a limit of 13 on the number of doctors, so is she the last?

To be honest the regeneration (not the casting) does seem to be a final throw of the dice as I think any other primetime drama who'd seen ratings plummet in the way Doctor Who's ratings have over the last few years would have been axed.

Steven Moffat found a way around that in Matt Smith's last episode, although I couldn't tell you how.

The theoretical limit was 12, supposedly from the concept of a clock face. However, the introduction of the 'War Doctor' in the 50th anniversary programme, and David Tenant's "failed regeneration" meant that Matt Smith was actually the 13th Doctor anyway.

The Time Lords ignored the "failed regeneration", but gave the dying Matt Smith's 12th Doctor a new regeneration cycle, although it wasn't made clear whether that was eternal or just another 12.

I doubt the producer in the 1960s (Verity Lambert) expected it to last long enough to run out of regenerations. How wrong she was Very Happy
JO
Joe
Joe posted:

Okay - and what good reason is there that there *shouldn't* be a female Doctor?

And why does the BBC need to prove anything?
JA
JAS84
I'm no fan so I stand to be corrected but wasn't there supposedly a limit of 13 on the number of doctors, so is she the last?

To be honest the regeneration (not the casting) does seem to be a final throw of the dice as I think any other primetime drama who'd seen ratings plummet in the way Doctor Who's ratings have over the last few years would have been axed.

Steven Moffat found a way around that in Matt Smith's last episode, although I couldn't tell you how.

The theoretical limit was 12, supposedly from the concept of a clock face. However, the introduction of the 'War Doctor' in the 50th anniversary programme, and David Tenant's "failed regeneration" meant that Matt Smith was actually the 13th Doctor anyway.

The Time Lords ignored the "failed regeneration", but gave the dying Matt Smith's 12th Doctor a new regeneration cycle, although it wasn't made clear whether that was eternal or just another 12.

I doubt the producer in the 1960s (Verity Lambert) expected it to last long enough to run out of regenerations. How wrong she was Very Happy
Regeneration wasn't a thing yet in Verity's time. She'd left by the time Hartnell had to leave, and the limit of 13 didn't exist until Tom Baker's era. But yeah, the writers then never expected us to have 14 Doctors.
MA
Markymark
I'm hoping she'll use the same Dorset accent she used in Broadchurch
BR
Brekkie

I know they mess with time then but if Matt Smith was the 12th then surely this is the 14th?
CR
Critique
Joe posted:

Don't try and make out you're not the one with the problem and then come out with the argument that there is no good reason for them to cast a female Doctor. Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean they need to justify it to you.
FL
flaziola
Nobody ever gives War Doctor a number.

I'm quite happy to stay gender blind when it comes to Doctor Who so I will be judging Whittaker purely on her performance compared to her predecessors.
WH
Whitnall
The BBC have uploaded the reveal scene to iPlayer. Must be one of the shortest shows ever at just 59 seconds. It's available for 30 days.....
:-(
A former member
At least Im not a bigot and slag people off for having a different view...
BB
BBI45
At least Im not a bigot and slag people off for having a different view...

Newer posts