TV Home Forum

The Crystal Maze returns to C4

Second series of celeb specials with new games now airing Fridays (August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Really enjoying this series and Richard has really quite quickly made it his own. Although I'd prefer 6 people and 12-13 games I'm not too bothered about it being 5 and just the 10, though do think there are a few too many ALIS games - seem to be at least one per zone when previously I'm sure it was one or two per episode, if any at all.

The mixing up the zones seems rather unnecessary and think it's been the case in 3 of the 4 episodes so far - if it is easier to film them in that order just rearrange the map and be done with it!

That's the last of the celeb episodes for now I believe, though I think there is another in the can which will presumably air with the other Stand up to Cancer content in the autumn. The series proper is due to begin in August.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It'd be refreshing if they left someone locked in for once or even left them locked in for a bit, instead of immediately getting them out.

The character running in from Medieval to Aztec for a chat isn't needed.
UB
UBox
I've thoroughly enjoyed this series but do wish they wouldn't recycle games so quickly. I'm sure we've seen the 'apples on the tree' game 3 times already. Becomes a bit tedious. Apart from that I've really enjoyed the episodes so far and Richard is perfect for the role.
EE
EastEngland
issues so far for me
- Too many automatic lock-ins
- Getting sick of hearing Richard saying "A-LIS Automatic Lock-In Situation"
- Recycled Games
- Riddle Games are a bit too easy
- Vary starting zones every week

The Knight annoyed me again in the last episode
- Popping up in Aztec as well as Medievil
- Spending 15 seconds talking about how she has no time to talk

Using it as filler is one thing if there is time to fill, but using filler like that whilst cutting game footage is not right.
BR
Brekkie
They've used three of the four zones as the starting point so far - just remains to be seen how they enter Aztec.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
They've used three of the four zones as the starting point so far - just remains to be seen how they enter Aztec.

I'm led to believe they enter through a hole in the waterfall.

Quote:
Similarly in the Aztec Zone, that amazing 60 foot-long river entrance from the original series had to be adapted due to space and budget constraints.

“But at the suggestion of producer Neil, we did put in a waterfall to use as an entrance on a passageway out of the zone.”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-07/the-crystal-maze-how-is-the-new-series-different-to-the-original
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
With regards to recycled games I think some people have forgotten how many games were 'recycled' during each of the original series. Watching 4-5 episodes of series 1 on challenge I've seen a couple of the games at least 3 times now.

I do find the lack of games bugs me somewhat, particularly as time is allowed between games for contestants to essentially chat. I'm fairly certain if those bits were tightened then a couple extra 2 min games could be played.

Similarly the lack of using the proper zone transitions bug me, considering they all appear to exist. I wonder whether they were kept in case they can get intensional versions to film on the set (ala Fort Boyard) who might wish to use them.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Well there were only 37 games in the first series and with 78 contestants it was inevitable games were going to get seen over and over again. One game appeared 10 times and appeared four weeks on the trot. The next popular game was played nine times and appeared five times on the trot.

This time round there are apparently 41 games. Somebody's put a list of the current games we've seen on the Wiki - 27.
BR
Brekkie
I saw 41 quoted but the Radio Times article says 60, which is comparable with the original run. There may be 6 extra Eps but with 3-5 less games an episode it is roughly the same number of games overall.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Looks like it was a sympathy let-off from a lock in with that "build the temple" game earlier. Tom Allen was still in the water at zero. People have been locked in being far closer to the door in the original.

This has now been put on YouTube, make your own mind up.
EE
EastEngland
The clock stays on 00:01 for longer than a second.....

It freezes there it seems.

Hope that in the non celebrity series they apply the rules rigidly, I haven't moaned about the stuffing of the token boxes after the whistle has gone or the additional help the producers/Richard have given contestants so far as it's for charity but for the main series it needs to be tightly controlled.
JO
Jon
I don't think the clock stays on 1 second for longer than and a second and apparently the original rules dictate the door if the door is knocked within the last second the door is opened.

Newer posts