« Topics
noggin13,794 posts since 26 Jun 2001
the Digital Production Partnership guidelines for completed programmes being delivered by file to all the major UK broadcasters says that a clock or slate can be used:
Quote:
Where a moving clock is used, it must provide a clear countdown of at least 7 seconds, including a hand moving in 1 sec steps (i.e. not smooth motion) around a circular clock face. Clocks with only digital countdown are not acceptable.

Obviously this doesn't apply to VT inserts, but I'd imagine post production houses would just apply the same rule to everything they churn out.

Most shows DO apply that rule to inserts if they use clocks. The use of sweeping second hands is the work of the devil - if you've ever tried cueing one...

Clocks are very useful if you need to mark an in on an ingested server clip in a hurry. Find the -5" point exactly (easy with a non-sweep clock), stripe it as 09.59.55.00 and you have a perfect 10:00:00:00 in point available... Much, much more useful than a slate.
knack439 posts since 31 May 2010
STV Central Reporting Scotland
First cock-up of the night. countdown into the Rogue Traders VT went out.

BBC Scotland cut to the technical difficulties slide then quickly cut to whats coming up later. Was very messy.

Hmm sounds over sensitive to problems.

No credits which I'm not a fan of. Prefer to know whose hard work was involved.

Someone read your post - credits were included this week.
London Lite9,652 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
Two weeks into this run and Watchdog seems to have found its mojo again. The move to Salford has helped the programme which after last year's 'tent' run is more focused and utilising the right presenters which proves it can have a post Anne Robinson and Chris Hollins future.

However I still wish Rogue was axed and given it's own 30 min slot instead.
Newsroom24 and Critique gave kudos
D.Page
I thought Steph had a couple of black eyes last night, then I realised it was a case of too much make-up Very Happy

What's happened to the Rogue's Gallery, normally at the end of the final Rogue Traders Section? They've dropped it. Bring back Rogue's Gallery!

Oh, and this latest theme tune arrangement is not as good as the previous version.
ukpetey gave kudos
harshy5,805 posts since 24 Mar 2001
A little late to the vt discussion but do the BBC use vt clocks, I've never seen it on any live feeds, my favourite vt clock is the channel5 cricket highlights show which Geoffrey boycott tossing the cricket ball up into the air šŸ˜
noggin13,794 posts since 26 Jun 2001
A little late to the vt discussion but do the BBC use vt clocks, I've never seen it on any live feeds, my favourite vt clock is the channel5 cricket highlights show which Geoffrey boycott tossing the cricket ball up into the air šŸ˜

BBC no longer use them at the start of live shows (too many were being cut up...) but recorded shows delivered as files or on tape will have them.
VT inserts for live shows will depend on the post production and playout systems, and how the material is delivered. It's certainly not unusual for a show with lots of inserts played out manually from EVS to have inserts with clocks delivered on them (it's easier to set an in point on a clocked item than a slated item quickly), but once ingested the in-point marked for the start of play in is likely to be first frame of pictures.
DJGM2,646 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
For whatever reason, last night's episode is not yet available on BBC iPlayer. Is there some technical or legal reason why it hasn't been uploaded yet? It's usually up within a few hours after broadcast. I missed the show last night. Did something go wrong?
"The Not-So-Late-Show with Greg Mitchell" Tuesdays 4-6pm on Roch Valley Radio - rochvalleyradio.org.uk

(Until further notice!)
Neil Jones4,518 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
For whatever reason, last night's episode is not yet available on BBC iPlayer. Is there some technical or legal reason why it hasn't been uploaded yet? It's usually up within a few hours after broadcast. I missed the show last night. Did something go wrong?

Documented:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/programme-availability/programme-issues/watchdog posted:

We're aware the episode of Watchdog broadcast on BBC One on 12/07/2017 is not available.

This is under investigation and we will update this FAQ when we have further information.
L8972 posts since 10 Apr 2015

The dogs in the studio had name tags and these have been blurred out on iPlayer. So not anything relating to companies investigated.
Worzel4,216 posts since 8 Jan 2008
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)

The dogs in the studio had name tags and these have been blurred out on iPlayer. So not anything relating to companies investigated.

They obviously couldn't sign on the dotted line to allow their names to be shown on subsequent repeats. Either that or one of them made a complaint. Barking mad if you ask me. Laughing
JoshX and DE88 gave kudos