The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, ABC News and others from across the pond

(May 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
A while back I posted about a new unnamed NBC News unit. Well it debuted yesterday. It's called NBC Left Field.

With a logo that would make BBC Three proud.

Wasn't this where BBC Pop Up's former journalist Matt Danzico left for?

https://twitter.com/mattdanzico?lang=en
RK
Rkolsen
A while back I posted about a new unnamed NBC News unit. Well it debuted yesterday. It's called NBC Left Field.

With a logo that would make BBC Three proud.

Wasn't this where BBC Pop Up's former journalist Matt Danzico left for?

https://twitter.com/mattdanzico?lang=en

Yes.
RK
Rkolsen
Greta Van Sustren announced her departure from MSNBC after a six month tenure. Not sure if she was let go or if she was fired. Her show lagged in the ratings and failed to hold on to MTP Daily's audience which returned when Hardball came on. MSNBC's chief legal analyst, host of a recently launched show on Sunday nights The Point (was supposed to be temporary), and frequent primetime fill in for Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell has been given the 6pm hour.

Her show was decent but I think the fact she spent 14 years at Fox News turned off many MSNBC liberal loyalists. I watched her show as she had analysts on not featured on other programs.
MO
Moz
I see the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley is now just the CBS Evening News! Seems he was dropped rather than leaving - no idea why, he seemed really good and viewing figures were doing well.

NJ
news junkie
Greta Van Sustren announced her departure from MSNBC after a six month tenure. Not sure if she was let go or if she was fired.

Seems it wasn't her decision either way

and perhaps a quick, last minute decision?

Also:

MO
Mouseboy33
Ratings were poor according to Chicago Tribune.
Quote:
Greta Van Susteren's stop at a third cable news network proved to be short. MSNBC said Thursday that she's out after less than six months at the network, to be replaced by Ari Melber.

Van Susteren began hosting a Washington-based 6 p.m. weeknight show at MSNBC on Jan. 9, joining the network after her 14-year run at Fox News Channel ended last summer following a financial disagreement. Before joining Fox, she had her own show at CNN.

But with the Fox and MSNBC audiences usually diametrically opposed, it proved a poor fit. MSNBC has had its best ratings in network history in 2017, but Van Susteren hasn't shared in the riches. It was the least-watched show on MSNBC between 5 p.m. and midnight both Monday and Tuesday of this week, according to the Nielsen company.

On Monday, for example, MSNBC's "Meet the Press Daily" at 5 p.m. had 970,000 viewers, and Van Susteren's show dipped to 797,000. When Chris Matthews' "Hardball" started at 7 p.m., the network's audience jumped to 1.45 million, Nielsen said.

The show is ending despite the public backing of Van Susteren's friend and MSNBC's most popular host, Rachel Maddow.

Van Susteren tweeted "I'm out at MSNBC" before MSNBC made its announcement Thursday afternoon. She had no immediate comment about the ouster.

In a note to staff, MSNBC President Phil Griffin called Van Susteren "a well-regarded television veteran and one of only a few broadcasters who can say they've hosted shows at all three major cable news networks. We are grateful to her and wish her the best."

A lawyer like Van Susteren, Melber is MSNBC's chief legal correspondent and hosts a weekend show, "The Point." He'll begin as permanent 6 p.m. host sometime next month, Griffin said.
CH
Charles
Moz posted:
I see the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley is now just the CBS Evening News! Seems he was dropped rather than leaving - no idea why, he seemed really good and viewing figures were doing well.

It was mentioned in the last page of this thread when it was announced he would be leaving, but nobody has posted that signoff video, so thanks for sharing.

This article is the best at explaining what happened. Essentially, Scott was one of the lowest paid anchors of the big three networks, so he hired a tough as nails Hollywood agent at his last contract renegotiation. They clashed with CBS executives, who were disappointed that ratings were no longer improving despite Scott's new, higher salary. I guess it's one thing to be in third place with a moderately-paid anchor, but another to be in third place with a highly-paid one. CBS decided to force him out at the end of a lackluster May sweeps, and his Hollywood agent leaked it to the NY Post in a way that made CBS get caught with their pants down. That's especially embarrassing too because CBS News typically handles these things pretty well, unlike some of their competitors.

It's a little sad it all happened that way, but that's just how that business works. I didn't really like Scott as an anchor, though I really liked the CBS Evening News under his watch. But CBS News is still larger than any one anchor, so I think they will be fine. Anthony Mason is the interim anchor while they decide on a permanent replacement. CBS News has plenty of second string anchors who could certainly take over the broadcast and do the job well, but there's no obvious successor.

And since this is a presentation forum, it should be interesting to see if they tinker with the look of the CBS Evening News any more than they already have. In the last year, they've changed the graphics, commissioned all-new music, and moved the program into the CBS This Morning studio with a lot more stand-up shots. None of those things seemed to have affected the ratings all that much.
IS
Inspector Sands
Meanwhile at MSNBC, relations between Morning Joe and the White House reach a new low
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40458145

There's been quite a fallout from the tweets about the presenters, but now possible blackmail with comparisons to Watergate. Can't be bad for their ratings
GM
Gary McEwan
Meanwhile at MSNBC, relations between Morning Joe and the White House reach a new low
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40458145

There's been quite a fallout from the tweets about the presenters, but now possible blackmail with comparisons to Watergate. Can't be bad for their ratings

MSNBC have uploaded the full segment on YouTube...

DB
dbl
Sounds like they need to order a few more baby rattles at the White House, jeez.
CH
Charles
This article came out today about CBS mulling over who should take over the CBS Evening News. Sounds like they are realizing what a mistake it was to remove Scott in the way they did:

Quote:
David Rhodes was interviewed at a CBS town hall Thursday morning by Norah O'Donnell.
In late May, it came out that after six years as anchor of the CBS Evening News, Scott Pelley would be vacating the chair.

In an employee town hall Thursday morning, CBS News president David Rhodes was asked if he thinks the rocky transition has hurt company morale.

"I absolutely do. And I'm concerned about it," he said, according to someone who viewed the event. "Transitions are difficult. We've had some very smooth ones while I've been here, and this one wasn't one of the smoothest. And I'm concerned about that. It didn't go the way that I wanted it to go."

O'Donnell passed along a question about CBS picking a woman to anchor the broadcast, thereby making her the third solo female anchor.

In response, Rhodes said: "Should it be a woman? Could we benefit from having a person of color leading it? We wouldn't be the only ones doing that right now. But that might be important as well. But that's not going to lead the decision about what we do."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-news-president-tells-staff-evening-news-anchor-transition-didnt-go-smoothly-hurt-morale-1017868
SL
Shaun Linden
I guess we will never know for sure why Scott was pushed from the CBS Evening News. The show has seen an improvement in recent years and he seemed to work well.

Newer posts