TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cavan
I think in the circumstances that they have plenty of others to choose from, resting this one ident for a short period until Grenfell isn't in the news on a daily basis is not an unreasonable call to have made.

Not really, it's pointless as the ident was completely irrelevant to the incident. I somewhat understood BBC ONE Scotland's decision to withdraw the Helicopter ident after the series of helicopter-related tragedies there but discontinuing an ident based on a tenuous link to a current event is a waste of time.
Markymark and Caly123 gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
My point was that in the scheme of things dropping one ident out of the wide selection they have is not going to have a big effect on the output. If that avoids a few headlines from certain quarters of the press that are always looking for a stick with which to beat the BBC, that's not a bad call.
CH
chris
My point was that in the scheme of things dropping one ident out of the wide selection they have is not going to have a big effect on the output. If that avoids a few headlines from certain quarters of the press that are always looking for a stick with which to beat the BBC, that's not a bad call.

But the point is where does that end? If a woman tragically dies from being suffocated by silk, does that ident go? How about if a baby gets bitten by a Venus fly trap? And heaven forbid a man gets mauled by a swan...

This isn't a PC Brigade here. If the ident was a '2' tower block going up in flames then we could completely understand. There is a tenuous to no link between Kebab and the tower block fire.

(I should point out that I haven't researched the reason why it may have been pulled - I've taken what has been said here as factual).
DP
D.Page
chris posted:
If a woman tragically dies from being suffocated by silk, does that ident go? How about if a baby gets bitten by a Venus fly trap? And heaven forbid a man gets mauled by a swan.

You've overlooked further possibilities:

A severe pecking incident with a group of woodpeckers.
Some poor soul being poisoned by eating a diseased duck.
A baby left black and blue by a pet dog somersaulting while on the baby's belly.
Someone electricuted to death by a wall insect zapper.
Multiple bodies discovered underneath a garden patio.
Someone blinded by a swaying fibre optics feature poking someone's eye.
A boy dies due to extreme fright when exploring a graveyard after dark.
Caly123, chris and Justin gave kudos
CA
Caly123
chris posted:
If a woman tragically dies from being suffocated by silk, does that ident go? How about if a baby gets bitten by a Venus fly trap? And heaven forbid a man gets mauled by a swan.

You've overlooked further possibilities:

A severe pecking incident with a group of woodpeckers.
Some poor soul being poisoned by eating a diseased duck.
A baby left black and blue by a pet dog somersaulting while on the baby's belly.
Someone electricuted to death by a wall insect zapper.
Multiple bodies discovered underneath a garden patio.
Someone blinded by a swaying fibre optics feature poking someone's eye.
A boy dies due to extreme fright when exploring a graveyard after dark.

What about NI's idents, here's what could happen:
A man gets bad skin disease after getting splattered by paint
A cat gets caught on fire after copper spits on it
A woman gets drowned in water then later dies
A baby has his hand chopped off from a blade
Someone gets a seizure from a neon sign

Those are the ones I could think of.
WH
whoiam989
Everyone, the new horror ideas are here!
DP
D.Page
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE SO ALL IDENTS ARE OFF LIMITS:

Charlie Wells and Caly123 gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
So will the BBC be withholding all images of fire until further notice?
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm stunned that people here can't see why they've withdrawn it. A huge fire has ripped through a tower block killing (potentially) hundreds of people, and it has quite clearly dominated the news. To show an ident featuring fire engulfing and burning a 2 shaped kebab on a skewer is insensitive to say the least.
DP
D.Page
...fire engulfing and burning a 2 shaped kebab ..

I don't know what kebab shops you have in your area but in my area the flames cook/brown or reheat the meat, the flames don't burn it.
BU
buster
Entirely predictable reaction from this place. Compliance decisions aren't just based around the obvious things. If you've got an ident complete with jaunty soundtrack with fire in it, viewers may be understandably upset to keep seeing it. There were all sorts of decisions made after the recent spate of attacks/tragedies which you won't know about, affecting the content of programmes. It's not over the top, it's what a responsible PSB does with such an upsetting story.
tmorgan96, Whataday and VMPhil gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
Personally I'd find the constant news coverage would remind me more of a tower block fire than a kebab getting cooked.

Newer posts