TV Home Forum

Watchdog

The programme you can probably afford to miss (November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SO
SOL
Watchdog was prerecorded? News to me Surprised
BA
bilky asko
SOL posted:

It was pre-recorded when it was in the tent, but only earlier that day (I think).
NG
noggin Founding member
SOL posted:

It was pre-recorded when it was in the tent, but only earlier that day (I think).

It was pre-recorded the day before.
MI
m_in_m
Looking at a pic Steph has posted on Twitter I wonder if they are using the foyer rather than a studio.
JA
james-2001
Wouldn't be unusual, during the Nicky Campbell era it came from the production office rather than a studio.
HC
Hatton Cross
My deepest sympathies to the sound mixer if they are.

Having queued up there for two different shows in my time, it has all the acoustic dampening qualities of a echo chamber.

Better use would be to use HQ3 as base camp, and the very short walk into the foyer for inserts.

Plus, if they are using the foyer as main presentation point they'll have to shoot towards the studio wall/cafe, because pointing through the glass and out into the plaza will be alright, until the local Salford 'wildlife' find out, and head down to get on television.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Wouldn't be unusual, during the Nicky Campbell era it came from the production office rather than a studio.

Wasn't the 'production office' basically a studio set though?
IS
Inspector Sands

No it was office in one if the BBC's buildings at White City (the Media Centre?) the gallery was an OB scanner
NG
noggin Founding member

For the bulk of that era in White City, and for a shorter period the Media Centre - no - it was the office - and live.

There was one series where a space in The Media Centre was converted into a kind of studio, which was the first series after Anne Robinson's return, and that was pre-recorded. It then returned to a real studio (first at TV Centre, then The Hospital), presented live by Anne Robinson.
JO
Jon
I think Watchdog isn't going to be any good until they get Anne Robinson back which is more of a big if. I think the Nicky Campbell era also seems to be remembered fondly and as it's based at Media City with Five Live I wonder why they haven't got him back.
JA
james-2001
There was one series where a space in The Media Centre was converted into a kind of studio, which was the first series after Anne Robinson's return

That was the one where on the first episode they put the film effect on the whole thing, even the studio portions, for god knows what reason. But then we're into the era where they're putting it on the Antiques Roadshow too, so these decisions make no sense anyway.
JO
Jon
I think after the first Anne come back series we were all relatively happy with it.

Newer posts