Media Websites

MHP and MHP "Redux" discussion

(June 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Original thread archived here: https://www.tvforum.co.uk/mediawebsites/mhp-redux-death-diana-princess-wales-41579/

Just a bit of technical housekeeping on the MHP "redux" site. Since I first converted the files three years ago I've actually learned how to use FFmpeg from a command line, so the unnecessarily large 128k MP3 files have been replaced with files encoded in the extremely modern and efficient Opus codec (at 24k, per the recommended settings). This should mean less data and bandwidth used.

For those of you not on a modern version of Firefox, Opera or Chrome*, you will still be served up the much more sensible 64k MP3 files instead.

Apologies if this is not of interest to anyone other than myself, it's just fun experimenting with HTML5 audio on a little hobby site like this and I was surprised how widely supported Opus audio in the browser is now.

*Basically Safari and IE/Edge users. Though hopefully Apple will support it sooner than later. Microsoft Edge technically has Opus support but not for embedded audio files yet.
Last edited by VMPhil on 11 August 2017 4:08pm
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Any decent media player like VLC will also play the Opus files. No version of Windows has Opus file support, you have to "add" it for Media Player (something like K-Lite Codec Pack for example).
VM
VMPhil
Well, OS support is a different matter. Windows and macOS won't play Opus on their default media players, for now. But if you have a fresh install of either OS and then install Firefox, Opera or Chrome, they will all play embedded Opus files in the browser using the <audio> element, without any extra add-ons or extensions needed.
NG
noggin Founding member
Any decent media player like VLC will also play the Opus files. No version of Windows has Opus file support, you have to "add" it for Media Player (something like K-Lite Codec Pack for example).

Think LAVFilters are a better bet these days.

14 days later

:-(
A former member
Private parts now gone for good?
VM
VMPhil
Private parts now gone for good?

The whole site was down the other day. Hopefully it's just temporary, even if you can't upload new things it would be a shame for that whole archive to go
A former member
I doubt it, it was stated there was a good chance address was up for renewal. there is always http://tvuploads.uk/index.php

12 days later

NB
NicB1971
MHP still down - "internal server error"

20 days later

A former member
This now turns up on the website...
http://pp.meldrum.co.uk/IBA_ETP1%20v2.png
VM
VMPhil
I noticed that the daily OTDIBH emails from the mailing list stopped a while back as well.
SD
sda|
Hopefully good news - I was trying old links the other day and it seems the files are still there at least
VM
VMPhil
The site's back online but still no upload facility.

Quote:
We apologise for the prolonged interruption to service. The Private Parts is now back online to enable you to view the archive, post comments and show your appreciation for previous uploads. The ability to upload new files is currently unavailable and we cannot provide an estimate for its return at this time.

Newer posts