The Newsroom

New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

(July 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WM
WMD
Southampton failed to opt for the 10pm ident and regional headlines. Oxford went out OK. They usually go pan-regional from Oxford if there's an issue in Southampton (and vice versa), so this is unusual.

73 days later

ST
South Today
Simon 'perky' Parkin in the hot seat alongside Sangeeta for the first time in his 10 years with ITV.
RD
RDJ
Simon 'perky' Parkin in the hot seat alongside Sangeeta for the first time in his 10 years with ITV.

I could NOT imagine him as a newsreader... How was he?
MA
Macalolo
They're advertising for a new weather presenter.
WM
WMD
Something unusual going on at BBC South? South Today was presented wholly from the desk - no use of sofa. Even the weather was from the desk, so no chroma.

Then the 1957 update was pan-regional from Oxford. Odd.
DE
deejay
Just a guess, but if they couldn't CSO the weather and there was a fault, perhaps with the vision mixer, they might not have got it sorted in time for their 8pm bulletin, which is also CSO. Did they manage a late weather, or is that taken from Plymouth these days?
WM
WMD
Late weather was CSO, but I suspect not live as would usually be the case. And it did seem unusually pixellated around the edges, so your vision mixer fault hunch could well be right.
ST
South Today
RDJ posted:

I could NOT imagine him as a newsreader... How was he?

Rather wooden and looked most uncomfortable throughout. Apparently he is presenting for a few nights so tune in tonight, if you can, and see what you think.
WM
WMD
Further strangeness on BBC South... the soft area of the set was in use in the second half of the 6:30 programme, but the keying on the CSO weather forecast was terrible. There was no shot of the weather presenter interacting with Sally, which suggested it was pre-recorded or shot elsewhere. Then another pan-regional 7:57 from Oxford.
ST
South Today
Again, pan regional 8pm update with Geraldine.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Simon Parkin is joining BBC Somerset radio full time from the end of August.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/06/simon-parkin-to-host-daily-bbc-somerset-show/
ST
South Today
I wonder who will replace him on Meridian weather. In other news, Mr D turned 75 last week!

Newer posts