The Newsroom

Manchester Terror Attack

On 22 May 2017, there was a suicide bombing at Manchester Arena which killed 22 people (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
BGT will love that being scheduled against their final.

They should probably consider moving BGT to Monday. The ratings will be diabolical.

The line up for the concert is diabolical. If it was for the people of Manchester it would be great but it seems to be a benefit for Arianna Grande.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Wrong Brekkie ....

The concert is for the Victims. The Demographic of those who attended the concert are being served perfectly. Indeed those who were at the concert and are able to attend are getting free admission too.
WO
Worzel
Wrong Brekkie ....

The concert is for the Victims. The Demographic of those who attended the concert are being served perfectly. Indeed those who were at the concert and are able to attend are getting free admission too.

Yes, the demographic is young boys and girls so the line up is perfectly suited.
DV
DVB Cornwall
.... and I'll add, it enables Ariana Grande to get a 'closure' of sorts and to resume her career. It wasn't her fault just awful co-incidence that her concert was the one attacked, so perhaps this will be a cathartic act too. Yes she'll get a benefit from it, something I and I'd hope others in the circumstances, don't begrudge one iota.
SW
Steve Williams
Yes she'll get a benefit from it, something I and I'd hope others in the circumstances, don't begrudge one iota.

Well said. I find the original comment wholly distasteful.
UKnews, tightrope78 and Richard gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
Wrong Brekkie ....

Yes, the demographic is young boys and girls so the line up is perfectly suited.

And they have Coldplay for the parents, so no issue at all.

Personally spending a night watching Bieber and Grande would be a no, no, but considering the context of why we're having this event, I'll be watching as I'm sure many others who wouldn't be interested normally.
BR
Brekkie
.... and I'll add, it enables Ariana Grande to get a 'closure' of sorts and to resume her career. It wasn't her fault just awful co-incidence that her concert was the one attacked, so perhaps this will be a cathartic act too. Yes she'll get a benefit from it, something I and I'd hope others in the circumstances, don't begrudge one iota.

It's a line up though that puts her above Manchester. I've no issue about her being on the line up at all but I think after what kind of became a celebration of all things Manchester in the wake of last weeks awful events it's a real shame to see Manchester so poorly represented on the line up.
DV
DVB Cornwall
There are other events that you describe such as this ....

This Concert isn't the place to showcase Manchester acts. It's an attempt to get those who went to the concert, and others, at ease in a highly secure environment, mostly in natural light ,used to being in crowds at music events again. It's therapeutic and with familiar faces on the bill. It will raise money, yes, but that's by far not the only reason for its happening.
BK
bkman1990
The first time I got this story about the Manchester Arena bombing was from Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN HD from about 2am in the morning Irish time. I was flicking around on certain news channels to see if there was any news bulletins available that night as I hadn't seen any news bulletins for several hours that night.

When watching CNN & seeing the words like Suicide Bomber, Manchester Arena & UK police; I just felt shocked after getting my head around the story for about a minute. The coverage from CNN was great for that hour. I then switched to BBC News HD for another hour of coverage from 3am to 4am. That coverage was good. Ed Thomas coverage with the live broadcast from nearby the arena was excellent as per usual.

Euronews was very slow in not showing any news coverage on the bombing before I went to bed by around 4am. I thought that was very poor form from the likes of them. NBC, who own the channel, should have covered the story with a live simulcast of MSNBC to give some early frequent update coverage of the incident to give some sense of credibility to the Euronews output. When you think about it; in the 6 and a half hours since the story a like that broke on the news wires with fast moving amounts of information available going out nearly every minute since it broke; MSNBC coverage on Euronews up to a certain time of the day should have them well covered for adequate news coverage for that incident.

All that aside; I do send my sympathies to the families & friends of those who died in Manchester that night. I hope you will find peace in this terrible tragedy. May they all rest in peace. Sad
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think there also an element of making a statement that high profile international acts are prepared to perform in Manchester and haven't been put off by the terrorists. That's a powerful message in the circumstances.
SW
Steve Williams
It's a line up though that puts her above Manchester. I've no issue about her being on the line up at all but I think after what kind of became a celebration of all things Manchester in the wake of last weeks awful events it's a real shame to see Manchester so poorly represented on the line up.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide who should be on the line-up and what the concert is supposed to be like. The people spending time and money organising the event get to do that. If you'd like to do something yourself for the city and those affected, you can decide what it's like.
London Lite and Custard56 gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member

I don't think it was a co-incidence that the target was a concert that attracted young people.

Newer posts