TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
I've seen a copy of an internal email announcing this - but it appears to have made its way onto Twitter too:

No indication that the BBC blocks are to change (that would be madness, surely), but there's a lot of Gill out there - in graphics, on physical signs, engraved into glass, everyone's staff IDs, and in buildings worldwide. We may have a long changeover period ahead!
Last edited by thegeek on 18 May 2017 6:32pm
AG
AxG
Wish that image was larger as I love a good font. But if one thing is being done, they for god's sake do the rest and don't make it look mish-mash.
JA
JAS84
Is it just me, or does the sans-serif version look too much like ITV's?
JS
JosiahStuart
It looks like someone mixed Stag, Segoe, and Proxima Nova into one font (especially the serif version).
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Wonder if the new look BBC Sport News bulletins will be the first glimpse of this that we see?
DA
davidhorman
Serifs? In 2017?! May God have mercy on us all.
DP
D.Page
If this means it will be necessary to replace the logos on BBC idents, I do hope this will enable Network to seriously consider dropping the hideous teal box and, instead, replacing it with a new design which is not an eyesore, i.e. no box at all and in the centre.
JO
Joe

Extremely odd comment.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Knowing how slap dash a lot of BBC pres is these days, I expect a mixture of fonts for many years to come. A slide created by an English region or BBC Sport or the news channel will still use Gill sans.

I'm not sure what the BBC will gain changing their font when we keep being told there isn't any money for new proper presentation on the flagship channels, yet there is now money to change the labels on the interior doors at Broadcasting House.
CH
chris
Well this is quite bizarre. Why spend all that money on changing a timeless font?
DA
davidhorman
Joe posted:

Extremely odd comment.

I couldn't agree more. For some reason I got it into my head that it was Gill Sans on the left and Reith on the right.

I had hoped to surreptitiously delete my post without anyone noticing, but there we are.
BR
Brekkie
Probably long over due really despite how well Gill Sans has served them. Would like to think it's part of a full rebranding across the BBC but sadly that's unlikely to be the case - it'll be a bit of tinkering here and there and end up a bit of a mess.

Newer posts