TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2017

Ukraine (NTU) - May 2017 (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
news junkie
Have we not had the voting order released yet?

What do you mean voting order? Like what country goes first or if they're using the same system they used last year for added drama?

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the UK will do surprising well this year - although I've probably cursed it now. I've always said the songs that do best are the emotional and vaguely political ones and this one kind of is. It could be interpreted as a love song to the EU because of Brexit; could also be interpreted as a sorry for everything the UK has done to other countries?; when Lucie performs it she gets very emotional; has the end-credit finale feel, in other words you can picture it being performed as the show finishes.
JO
Jon
I've given up with the number of time in recent years we thought "we'd finally do alright". Many were confident last year too.
Last edited by Jon on 13 May 2017 3:33pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jon posted:
I've given up with the number of time in recent years we thought "we'd finally do it alright". Many were confident last year too.

Really? I can only recall a handful of times over the last 10 years we've been tipped to do well, and two of those we did do well.

Molly was probably the most overhyped in terms of people saying "it sounds like a Eurovision song" which is always the kiss of death for any UK entry. The dreadful staging didn't help either and was possibly tipped to do better because it was an improvement on the nonsense we'd had for a few years.

Last year was a respectable entry but respectable entries don't win televotes. I've said this before, but if it was everyone's second favourite it would come in last place. The entry and staging needs to be enough to be enough people's number one in order to get votes.

The whole package for the UK's entry this year is very on point, and therefore we should do well, and even if we don't, we can hold our heads high.
gottago, DE88 and Brekkie gave kudos
FA
fanoftv
Last year was a very decent song imo with 'You're not alone', a shame that we came so low on the night.
JO
Jon
Jon posted:
I've given up with the number of time in recent years we thought "we'd finally do it alright". Many were confident last year too.

Really? I can only recall a handful of times over the last 10 years we've been tipped to do well, and two of those we did do well.

Molly was probably the most overhyped in terms of people saying "it sounds like a Eurovision song" which is always the kiss of death for any UK entry. The dreadful staging didn't help either and was possibly tipped to do better because it was an improvement on the nonsense we'd had for a few years.

Last year was a respectable entry but respectable entries don't win televotes. I've said this before, but if it was everyone's second favourite it would come in last place. The entry and staging needs to be enough to be enough people's number one in order to get votes.

The whole package for the UK's entry this year is very on point, and therefore we should do well, and even if we don't, we can hold our heads high.

I'm talking about predictions on here specifically. People were even talking up Englebert's chances for example, not because of the quality of the song as such, but because it was supposedly offering something different and the idea he might have a bit of a following internationally that might help. My comment is more intended as an aside rather than a deep analysis hence why the post wasn't very long. General point being regardless of the quality of the songs and appeal of the performer in recent years we seem to have still done worse than what the forum seems to have expected, where we've still been disappointed to miss out on the top 10. Hence me not calling tonight's result.

It's not comment on political voting which we all know doesn't really exist in the way the wider public for example.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Oh on here? That's another planet altogether Very Happy
JO
Josh
I don't know if anyone's noticed this, but take a little peek at the top of the page. Wink
UK
ukpetey
JoshX posted:
I don't know if anyone's noticed this, but take a little peek at the top of the page. Wink

Forum logo with Ukraine colour. Looks very nice. This is my tv event of the year, each year. Love Eurovision Song Contest Smile
MF
MatthewFirth
If we finish bottom 5, we would recall this the year we should have sent Steps to Eurovision.......
JB
JasonB
I am eagerly awaiting Tumble Tower's commentary.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Jon Ola Sand's pre final video interview

JO
Josh
The voting order has been revealed:
1 Sweden Wiktoria Johansson
2 Azerbaijan Tural Asadov
3 San Marino Lia Fiorio
4 Latvia Aminata Savadogu
5 Israel Ofer Nachshon
6 Montenegro Tijana Mišković
7 Albania Andri Xhahu
8 Malta Martha Fenech
9 FYR Macedonia Ilija Grujoski
10 Denmark Ulla Essendrop
11 Austria Kristina Inhof
12 Norway Marcus & Martinus
13 Spain Nieves Alvarez Garcia
14 Finland Jenni Vartiainen
15 France Elodie Gossuin
16 Greece Constantinos Christophorou
17 Lithuania Egle Daugelaite
18 Estonia Jüri Pootsmann
19 Moldova Gloria Gorceag
20 Armenia Iveta Mukuchyan
21 Bulgaria Boriana Gramatikova
22 Iceland Bo Halldorsson
23 Serbia Sanja Vučić
24 Australia Lee Lin Chin
25 Italy Giulia Valentina Palermo
26 Germany Barbara Schöneberger
27 Portugal Filomena Cautela
28 Switzerland Luca Hänni
29 The Netherlands Douwe Bob
30 Ireland Nicky Byrne
31 Georgia NIka Kocharov
32 Cyprus John Karayiannis
33 Belarus Alyona Lanskaya
34 Romania Sonia Argint Lonescu
35 Hungary Csilla Tatár
36 Slovenia Katarina Čas
37 Belgium Fanny Gillard
38 Poland Anna Popek
39 United Kingdom Katrina Leskanich
40 Croatia Ursula Tolj
41 Czech Republic Radka Rosická
42 Ukraine Zlata Ognevich

Belgium's spokesperson is a bit crude, but it'll be past the watershed so hey-ho!

Newer posts