TV Home Forum

Television Presentation From Defunct Countries and Regimes

Soviet Union, apartheid South Africa, East Germany, colonial Hong Kong, Yugoslavia, etc. (February 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
Czechoslovak TV news reports on the construction of the iconic Žižkov TV transmitter in Prague, 1985 (includes the news intro):

The transmitter was completed in 1992, after the collapse of Communism.

This is what it looks like nowadays:

Source: Thomas Ledl, Wikipedia
Last edited by WW Update on 11 May 2017 10:41pm - 2 times in total
Hazimworks and chinamug gave kudos
HA
Hazimworks
Czechoslovak TV news reports on the construction of the iconic Žižkov TV transmitter in Prague, 1985 (includes the news intro):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIw7g1Ksjsg

The transmitter was completed in 1992, after the collapse of Communism.

This is what it looks like nowadays:

Source: Thomas Ledl, Wikipedia

That tower reminds me more of the Oriental Pearl Tower, the Ostankino and the TV Tower in Berlin, in terms of the design.

Also it seems odd that TV Nova reuse the title of the Communist-era newscast a decade later.
HC
Hatton Cross
It looked brutalist and horrid in the plans, models and drawings..
..and as the above photo shows - looks brutalist and horrid when built.

It's interesting how some countries get plonking a whacking great mast for tv/communications so right (the tower on Montjuic in Barcelona for example. A white needle looking over the city centre, and yet is pleasingly asthetic and doesn't look that out of place) and some so very wrong - as demonstrated here.

It also shows how in some respects, how forward thinking the UK and Ireland were in planning tv transmitters.

We generally put them on big hills and in large green fields near sheep, and away from major city centres - London excepted, although there isn't a trace of this 'thick penstoke design' in the masts at Croydon or Crystal Palace - so we only notice them when traveling around.
I'd hate to have that ugly monstrosity stuck in my eyeline everytime I looked out of the window at home, or travelling on the morning commute.
UK
UKnews
On the plus side you can take a lift to the top for a good view over the city, and have a meal in the restaurant. So it's not all bad Wink
HC
Hatton Cross
'Based on an original idea by the GPO (now BT)'

There was a revolving restaurant at the top of the BT Tower, but security concerns put pay to that idea, and is used for ad hoc tv programmes and a couple of this year's FA Cup draws.

You've just pointed out the flaw. Sure looks good from the inside looking out, but outside looking at it - different story.
MA
Markymark

It also shows how in some respects, how forward thinking the UK and Ireland were in planning tv transmitters.

We generally put them on big hills and in large green fields near sheep, and away from major city centres - London excepted, although there isn't a trace of this 'thick penstoke design' in the masts at Croydon or Crystal Palace - so we only notice them when traveling around.
I'd hate to have that ugly monstrosity stuck in my eyeline everytime I looked out of the window at home, or travelling on the morning commute.

One of the reasons we don't have these combined telecom and broadcast transmitters is that unusually the BBC and ITA made their own arrangements rather than the GPO. In most other European countries, and of course behind the Iron Curtain the national PTT was responsible for broadcast transmissions.

If the government had selected the GPO to provide BBC and ITV transmission we may well have ended up with urban area chunky towers too

BTW for 5 Euros you can enter the Barcelona tower, cracking view of the city, and you get nice and close to all the antennas too 😎
Hazimworks and UKnews gave kudos

21 days later

WW
WW Update
RTV Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Yugoslavia; late news, 1980:

Note the use of both the Cyrillic script -- used by Bosnian Serbs -- and the Latin script -- used by Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims) and Bosnian Croats.
Last edited by WW Update on 2 June 2017 11:03pm
HA
Hazimworks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCap9Nthy-I

Note the use of both the Cyrillic script -- used by Bosnian Serbs -- and the Latin script -- used by Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims) and Bosnian Croats.

Looking through the video, It's very odd to see some black and white footage in the newscast.
WW
WW Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCap9Nthy-I

Looking through the video, It's very odd to see some black and white footage in the newscast.

The report at 2:08 is about a coup in Turkey, with footage probably sourced from Turkish television, and according to Wikipedia, TRT didn't fully switch to color until 1984. Of course, this still doesn't explain why the report at 6:00 is also in black and white. Old technology perhaps? RTV Sarajevo would soon get a major upgrade of equipment for the 1984 Winter Olympics.
Last edited by WW Update on 3 June 2017 12:05am

66 days later

WW
WW Update
Commercials from the Belgrade TV station in Communist Yugoslavia, 1980:

Stuart and NeilMiles gave kudos

91 days later

HA
Hazimworks
I put these videos in the other thread but this counts as British colony era Hong Kong:
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1085660#post-1085660
Last edited by Hazimworks on 6 November 2017 1:53pm

10 days later

WW
WW Update
Annotated bits and pieces of Apartheid-era SABC (1977), including continuity announcements and the news:

remlap and NeilMiles gave kudos

Newer posts