The Newsroom

Fox News General Discussion

(March 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OM
Omnipresent
Sean Hannity could be next according to reports:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/01/sean-hannity-eyes-fox-news-exit-insiders-say
DB
dbl
It's all kicking off
CI
cityprod
And Sean Hannity created all this when he replied New York Magazine's Gabriel Sherman.

Very rare that I agree with Sean on something, but in this case, I think he may be right.
CH
Charles
I wrote something elsewhere that was much longer, but I'll say here that I don't think this is the end of FNC. The Murdochs have twice replaced the top dog with someone else very similar, so I don't think they're quite ready for a major change. We're not going to see Sky News America anytime soon. Instead, what we'll see, aside from the continued fracturing of conservative media overall, is FNC becoming more and more boring with the same shows (often in panel form) just with forgettable talent. FNC will only radically change when the Murdochs bring new blood into the exec team, and that's only going to happen if or when ratings and ad revenue start falling off.
MO
Mouseboy33
FNC could put on two guys reading the phone book for 3 hours and they will find a conservative slant to that. And what ever they put on air, their audience has swallowed the Kool-Aid for over 20 years, so it doesnt matter at all what programming they show.
CI
cityprod
The crazy thing is, the extreme right is already seeing this as a 'liberal takeover'. Check out this screed from Cliff Kincaid of the somewhat ironically named "Accuracy In Media".

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/the-left-wing-takeover-of-fox-news/
CH
Charles
FNC could put on two guys reading the phone book for 3 hours and they will find a conservative slant to that. And what ever they put on air, their audience has swallowed the Kool-Aid for over 20 years, so it doesnt matter at all what programming they show.

I agree, though I would add that programming matters a little bit. FNC's ratings would certainly fall off if they adopted a down the middle Sky News or CNN-of-yesteryear format that so many of us news junkies would like to see. But the viewers don't really care whether it's Tucker Carlson or Bill O'Reilly on the air at 8 o'clock so long as the format and all the guests are the same. Maybe there are some out there angry O'Reilly was canned because of advertising pressure, but they'll eventually forget that O'Reilly was there. Or the Irish Alzheimer's will kick in.

The crazy thing is, the extreme right is already seeing this as a 'liberal takeover'. Check out this screed from Cliff Kincaid of the somewhat ironically named "Accuracy In Media".

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/the-left-wing-takeover-of-fox-news/

This is not the first time right wingers have accused FNC of moving to the left. Some of them were miffed that FNC's election coverage was relatively more centrist in 2012 than it was in 2008, and as much as Megyn Kelly was adored in the "mainstream" press, FNC's ratings shot up in that timeslot the day after she left and was replaced with Tucker.
Last edited by Charles on 5 May 2017 1:17am
LL
London Lite Founding member
Just flicked on FNC to hear Tucker Carlson complaining about media bias from US news organisations about the French election and quelle surprise, supporting Le Pen!
MO
Mouseboy33
UK's OFCOM is now in the frame. Nice article about how the 20 accusers lawyer will appear before an OFCOM panel to discuss the mess that is Fox News and its Sky deal.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/attorney-representing-fox-news-accusers-will-appear-before-u-k-panel/328530

Attorney Representing Fox News Accusers Will Appear Before U.K. Panel
Quote:
On Wednesday, Douglas Wigdor, a New York lawyer representing more than a dozen current and former employees of Fox News, sent an 8-page letter to the chief executive of the U.K.’s Office of Communications, or Ofcom, requesting a meeting. This morning he announced he’s getting that meeting.

“I am pleased that Ofcom has invited me to appear in London next week on behalf of our 20 clients and look forward to sharing the information that I have come to learn about 21st Century Fox through the dedicated men and women that I am privileged to represent,” said Wigdor in a statement this morning.

Ofcom will need to determine if 21st Century Fox is a “fit and proper” license holder for British pay-TV firm Sky. In December, 21st Century Fox made a $14 billion offer for the 61 percent of Sky it does not already own. An earlier deal to buy Sky was scuttled in 2011 by the hacking scandal.

“It’s all about Sky,” a Fox insider tells Adweek, giving in to the fact that cleaning up Fox News is not just for the benefit of employees, or viewers, but 21CF shareholders and its executives, Rupert, James and Lachlan Murdoch.
EL
elmarko
Wow, didn't expect that. It's weird hearing Americans on the news trying to pronounce Ofcom.
MO
Mouseboy33
I guess its the same when we hear Brits trying to say Barack Obama, Maryland, Los Angeles California or Michigan. LOL. Smile

But I think because FNC is such a mess.....this looks bad for 21Century to even have the hearing with OFCOM. The out come of the hearing will be interesting in the least.
CH
Charles
There's still nothing like a British newsreader talking about Chiner and Indier on Loive at Foive from the Skoy Newscenta.

...I'll see myself out.
TorontoCommons, Mouseboy33 and Rkolsen gave kudos

Newer posts