The Gallery

Good Morning Britain Mock

First time mocking, so please excuse if bad (February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
daybreakfan45
JoshX posted:
If I may get the housekeeping out of the way first:
It seems eagle-eyed JamesTV has noticed something quite interesting; the picture of the GMB colour palette is indeed mine. A little while ago, I browsed the ITV press pack for Good Morning Britain which contained the colour codes for the on screen graphics. I then used these codes to locate the eight exact shades in the GMB colour palette in order to make my mock as accurate as possible. I made the palette graphic you have posted in order to show the people looking through my mock the eight colours I had used in my designs. While I do not mind you using my picture to extract colours to use in your mock, I would prefer you not posting it as part of your graphics. I don't feel this is unreasonable.

In reference to the mock itself:
Seeing one still image is very little to go on but I would advise you to work on the positioning of the items on screen. The logo, for example, hovers above the ticker, yet the text box to the right does not, while the top of the logo extends above the text box and tag. The ticker is reasonably nicely designed but again is improperly aligned with the clock (which also contains larger text, making it look sloppy). Tweak these simple issues and your mock will be much improved as a result. As for the typeface used, I am not a massive fan; it doesn't strike me as a massively authoritative font for a morning news show to use. I would try to increase the font size of the lower line of text within the white box. Keep working on it and take on board the advice you are given in order to improve this design.

I forgot to take the palette out so just ignore that.
Thanks for the advice.

I think what you mean is "apologies for stealing your work David".

One little image you've spent 5 minutes on doesn't count as a mock. Any update you do needs to be well thought out and considered, not something you've spent your Saturday morning on.
TV
TVViewer256
Just out of interest, where do you get the itv press pack for gmb?
This mock is terrible. The only good thing is the colours. Which you stole from David
WL
W1LL
This mock is terrible. The only good thing is the colours. Which you stole from David

Asking a question, then posting a piece of criticism which isn't constructive in any way probably isn't the best way to get an answer to said question.
DW
DavidWhitfield
JoshX posted:
If I may get the housekeeping out of the way first:
It seems eagle-eyed JamesTV has noticed something quite interesting; the picture of the GMB colour palette is indeed mine. A little while ago, I browsed the ITV press pack for Good Morning Britain which contained the colour codes for the on screen graphics. I then used these codes to locate the eight exact shades in the GMB colour palette in order to make my mock as accurate as possible. I made the palette graphic you have posted in order to show the people looking through my mock the eight colours I had used in my designs. While I do not mind you using my picture to extract colours to use in your mock, I would prefer you not posting it as part of your graphics. I don't feel this is unreasonable.

In reference to the mock itself:
Seeing one still image is very little to go on but I would advise you to work on the positioning of the items on screen. The logo, for example, hovers above the ticker, yet the text box to the right does not, while the top of the logo extends above the text box and tag. The ticker is reasonably nicely designed but again is improperly aligned with the clock (which also contains larger text, making it look sloppy). Tweak these simple issues and your mock will be much improved as a result. As for the typeface used, I am not a massive fan; it doesn't strike me as a massively authoritative font for a morning news show to use. I would try to increase the font size of the lower line of text within the white box. Keep working on it and take on board the advice you are given in order to improve this design.

I forgot to take the palette out so just ignore that.
Thanks for the advice.

I think what you mean is "apologies for stealing your work David".

Thank you for that comment, DaybreakFan45 - that would have been more welcome than being told to "just ignore" it.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 1 May 2017 8:47pm
JO
Josh
Can someone just archive this thread? I think we've all discovered I'm rubbish at mocks.

I feel like nobody wants me on this forum or this world.
DW
DavidWhitfield
JoshX posted:
Can someone just archive this thread? I think we've all discovered I'm rubbish at mocks.

I feel like nobody wants me on this forum or this world.

Nobody is brilliant at anything the first time they do it. The point of The Gallery is to post your work and receive feedback which you can use to improve. You're not 'rubbish at mocks', you just need to spend more time honing your skills in order to get better.

As for the last part of your most recent post, I am sure nobody on this forum would be pleased to see you leave. Receiving some negative feedback on a mock is not at all a marker that 'nobody wants you on this forum'. The '...or this world' is most concerning, however. That comment clearly stems from more than your experience on a television presentation forum and I hope you are alright generally. Should you wish to, feel free to send me a message directly. Otherwise, I am wishing you well, and, as I say, all you need to do to improve your mocks is spend some time perfecting your skills. Don't give up following some minor criticisms.
NE
Newsroom24
Don't be too disheartened. Mocks are meant to be enjoyable, and you shouldn't take any criticism too personally. Though some of the feedback can be critical and come across as harsh, it's only guidance to help you improve on your design for any further mocks you choose to do.

I really do hope you choose not to leave, after all the more members on a forum the better!

I completely agree with David on the '...or this world' point. There are always times that things happen in our lives that makes us feel sad or lonely, but there is always support out there if you need it Smile
TV
TVViewer256

Asking a question, then posting a piece of criticism which isn't constructive in any way probably isn't the best way to get an answer to said question.

I get what you mean. I was asking David for the press pack
DW
DavidWhitfield

Here, Freddie056 (and, indeed, anyone else who's interested in looking at it) -
https://www.behance.net/gallery/16618251/Good-Morning-Britain.
TV
TVViewer256

Here, Freddie056 (and, indeed, anyone else who's interested in looking at it) -
https://www.behance.net/gallery/16618251/Good-Morning-Britain.

Cheers David!

Newer posts