TV Home Forum

The (Radio) One Show

Split from The One Show (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
These sorts of discussions highlight the gap between Radio 1 and Radio 2 and the fact that ideally there would be a Radio 1.5

The minute you turn 30 you are supposed to tune into Radio 2, the station your dad listens to, and at certain parts in the schedule, the station your grandparents might listen to.

Alternatively you are supposed to turn to commercial radio. If the adverts aren't enough of a shock, exchanging proper links and features to 'Coming up in 3 songs time I'll quickly read out some gossip from the front of the Daily Star, before another 3 songs' certainly is.

I turned 30 on Thursday. I feel old now. Laughing
KN
knack
Prince William joked about being over their age limit while on radio 1 last week which I found slightly amusing. https://youtu.be/nDKGAPppxwU#t=5m10s
MA
Markymark

I turned 30 on Thursday. I feel old now. Laughing

The next 20 years will go much faster than the last 20 I can assure you ! Sad
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Maybe Radio 2 should do FM/DAB splits for some of the more polarising legacy stuff. Put Friday Night is Music Night on FM and something more attractive to the younger end of the demographic on DAB? Even something cheap like repeating an old session recording.

Very much agree on Radio 1.5 - the idea is supposed to be to pander to complaints that the BBC has an unfair monopoly which is unfair to the commercial sector, which if you think about it is stupid.

If the commercial sector had a product that was any good, people would listen. Anybody setting up a radio station knows what the BBC is all about, and how you compete with that should be part of the business plan. It's like opening a gym next door to a council leisure centre that's been there for decades and complaining that you can't compete on price because the council subsidises theirs.

30-40 year olds really are an under served section of license fee payers.
IS
Inspector Sands
Maybe Radio 2 should do FM/DAB splits for some of the more polarising legacy stuff. Put Friday Night is Music Night on FM and something more attractive to the younger end of the demographic on DAB? Even something cheap like repeating an old session recording.

Isn't there already a BBC station that does that sort of thing on DAB? It even comes from the same building as Radio 2 It's not to the taste of all 30-40 year olds of course but it does serve that niche of being too old for Radio 1 and not wanting the middle of the road Radio 2

The plan when 6 Music was planned to be axed was to replace it with something called Radio 2 Extra which I think would have been along your lines but much watered down from what 6 Music does
DV
dvboy
30-40 year olds really are an under served section of license fee payers.

I disagree. I'm 33 and probably consume twice more BBC than any other broadcaster. I think 6 Music serves me very well and I listen to that every morning but I also listen to programmes on other BBC stations, in contrast to hardly anything on commercial radio bar the occasional tennis commentary on Talk Sport 2.

People are allowed to change stations. I don't get this idea that people have to choose a station to suit their demographic and this stick to it all day every day.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I'm 37 and find that Radio 1, 2 and 6 Music aren't to my tastes, although I watch the Innuendo Bingo feature of Scott Mills online . However, some commercial radio stations are better at targeting people in my age group with stations such as Absolute and Planet Rock.

Television on the other hand is a different story as I watch BBC One, Two, Four and BBC News.
JB
JasonB
I'm 30 and I find 6 Music a strange station. It's on in my workplace most days but then it's genre of music doesn't really appeal to me.
NT
Night Thoughts

Isn't there already a BBC station that does that sort of thing on DAB? It even comes from the same building as Radio 2 It's not to the taste of all 30-40 year olds of course but it does serve that niche of being too old for Radio 1 and not wanting the middle of the road Radio 2

The plan when 6 Music was planned to be axed was to replace it with something called Radio 2 Extra which I think would have been along your lines but much watered down from what 6 Music does

The BBC denied the Radio 2 Extra plan (well, I suppose they would: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/2010/04/the-future-of-6-music.shtml) but yes, 6 Music was and still is managed by and shares resources with Radio 2.

Radio 1.5 would be Heart or Absolute, wouldn't it? Or frantically retuning between both of them...

Radio is such an intimate medium, though, it would be impossible to please everybody in a given age range with one (new) station - Radios 1 and 2 have a half-century (and then some) legacy of public awareness and branding so most UK adults know what they are for, just as most people have a rough idea of what the 5 PSB TV channels are for. Unless you were doing something very niche indeed - when getting a mass audience wouldn't be your priority - you'd struggle to emulate that. It took the closure threat for 6 Music to establish itself (and even now, seven years on, it's still growing).
SP
Steve in Pudsey
By underserved, I mean that the BBC chooses to actively discourage me from listening to Radio 1 yet doesn't provide an alternative. 6 Music isn't it.
AN
Andrew Founding member
knack posted:
Prince William joked about being over their age limit while on radio 1 last week which I found slightly amusing. https://youtu.be/nDKGAPppxwU#t=5m10s

Indeed, I thought that was particularly cutting that even the future king knows he is listening to a station that the BBC would like him not to.

Ideally you'd have a Radio 1.5 on 97-99 FM and move Radio 1 to DAB, maybe incorporating 1xtra at the same time. Kids don't listen to the radio of course, they use apps and the like.

I don't understand the not competing with the commercial sector angle, it doesn't bother them in the world of TV.
CY
cyberdude
I like the tangent this thread has taken. Can it be renamed The Radio One Show..?

Be careful what you say on this forum - we don't need to be tempting the more creative members! 😂

Newer posts