Media Websites

Twitter (and other social media) Gold Thread

Sharing the best from Twitter... before closing time! (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
For those who don't have access to Twitter I thought this thread might be a good idea to link to tweets to things we might not have seen elsewhere online in relation to the classic Telly stuff. Also good for stuff that isn't relevant for ongoing threads in the main and Newsroom forums. The YouTube thread has been running for several years and brought some gems to our attention.

So I'll post a couple of tweets to things I've seen on twitter, feel free to reply and add more.

Last edited by nwtv2003 on 3 March 2021 7:52pm - 3 times in total
:-(
A former member
East midlands new news service

Another GOOD twitter accounts is that off, Carlton. Nice person he also trying to get the archive and details in order.

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I don't think the "regions" were used for advert purposes but they were clearly planned....

A former member
What I found strange in that pics is once again Border TV has lost some of the Scottish viewers to STV like Stranraer
IS
Inspector Sands
That Carlton Media site is intriguing. Looks like a similar idea to 'TVam' who own the name, logo etc but aren't connected to the original company.

It's obviously a pres enthusiast from somewhere like here as it uses out of context terms like 'generic style of 1998'
NW
nwtv2003
The TV-am twitter account is a good one to follow...

HC
Hatton Cross
What I found strange in that pics is once again Border TV has lost some of the Scottish viewers to STV like Stranraer

Yes - but that's not the only incosistency on the map. And the reason was TV-am was a national network, free of following the existing ITV regional set-up and boundaries.

So, they could redraw the map to target advertisers, which was probably based on the number of sales staff in their regional offices. Far less gernerously manned than the individual ITV regional sales teams were, I'd hazard a guess.
HA
Hazimworks
This is interesting!

While you TV Forumers share/embed the very recent (or recent) tweets made by TV-am, TVF, Retro Rerun, Transdiffusion etc...

Why not repost the TV related tweets that you like from your Twitter "likes" page. Or retweets. Or maybe interesting conversations. Maybe the ones from a few weeks ago or a few years ago. This applies for TV Forumers that have their own Twitter account. It's worth the try.

Also why not add Facebook too? TV related content from Facebook are also great. The admin may also change the name of this thread to "Social Media Gold" which is cracking since we may share TV related content from social media, not just Twitter and Facebook but Soundcloud, Spotify and Flickr as well. It's the wonders of Web 2.0 and social media.
Last edited by Hazimworks on 17 April 2017 4:35am
A former member
I and a few other TV Forumers do already do this Very Happy

15 days later

SC
Si-Co
I don't think the "regions" were used for advert purposes but they were clearly planned....

The map is also seen in the IBA Yearbooks, showing the ITV regions. What does all the grey space (particularly in Scotland) indicate? Surely those areas could - generally speaking - pick up TV signals?
IS
Inspector Sands
Si-Co posted:

The map is also seen in the IBA Yearbooks, showing the ITV regions. What does all the grey space (particularly in Scotland) indicate? Surely those areas could - generally speaking - pick up TV signals?

It looks like they are areas with no, or fringe, reception. If you look at areas like the south east it's split up into individual transmitter areas,so presumably that's the same in Scotland, just with gaps

TV signals have never covered the whole country, they cover 98.something% of the population, but there's always been gaps
SP
Steve in Pudsey

They were clearly still part of the plan two weeks before TV-am came on air - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0l9Mekl78&feature=youtu.be&t=14m26s

Newer posts