TV Home Forum

SM:TV Live to return for one off special?

To mark 20th anniversary of its launch (February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVMan
SM:TV is currently the No.3 trending topic in the UK on twitter so clearly there's a demand for a 20th anniversary reunion special
BL
bluecortina
You don't think that the big bosses at ITV have already decided that there is a going to be an anniversary show and that, well you know, let the public think they have somehow contributed to bringing it back. Wink
bilky asko, Brekkie and DJ Dave gave kudos
DC
DCI02
I wonder if Ant & Dec would ever like to bring it back full-time, but with different presenters and A&D producing?
BR
Brekkie
You don't think that the big bosses at ITV have already decided that there is a going to be an anniversary show and that, well you know, let the public think they have somehow contributed to bringing it back. Wink

Well they bought back Going Live earlier this week. Wink

Whatever form this reunion takes I'd be surprised if it isn't in primetime.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I wonder if Ant & Dec would ever like to bring it back full-time, but with different presenters and A&D producing?

But then nobody will probably watch it because they're not presenting it.

Whatever form this reunion takes I'd be surprised if it isn't in primetime.

A few people on here were calling for it to be on in its original time slot. I think it'd generate a good buzz having people wake up early to see it, though in the age of DVRs I don't know if anybody would care. The Tiswas reunion a few years back happened at about 9pm. It was more like an OTT reunion.
JO
Jonwo
You could do a SMTV reunion in primetime but they wouldn't necessary need to show cartoons or kids shows, just archive clips along with new material would do fine.

Ideally, the reunion should be close to the actual airdate of SMTV Live so I imagine 25th August or 1st September 2018 would work but it could air at anytime in 2018.
JB
JasonB

Even if it did come back full time with the three of them I suspect it would get tucked away on the CITV channel.
DC
DCI02

Even if it did come back full time with the three of them I suspect it would get tucked away on the CITV channel.

If it came back with Ant & Dec full-time, there's zero chance it would be on CITV alone (possibly a simulcast).
DV
DVB Cornwall
I really contest the need for such programmes even with A lister presenters now. Most of the target audience with smartphones could produce their own tailored entertainment with Pop Videos, YouTubers, Instagram Stories and apps such as Musically being the building blocks driven by Social Media. Indeed for some management teams such as Prestige, (The Vamps, The Tide and New Hope Club) they and their fanbase are producing 24hr entertainment strands now.

The promotion of this type of show really is of the past.
BR
Brekkie
To counter that argument though shouldn't TV at least be attempting to compete with these new genres rather than just giving up, especially as the brand doesn't have to stop with the TV show - there is the possibility to have a 24/7 presence themselves.
DJGM and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall
I see your point, but with the fractionalisation of audiences, and the make-up of the charts (Pop Music is the driver of these programmes) with multiple entries etc. The impact of these programmes, which after-all is the driving force for acts to appear and indeed break their own marketing campaigns so to do will be minimal. The investment won't generate the return required for the Commercial Broadcaster.

As a nostaligia trip for a one off yes, a series no.
NG
noggin Founding member
I really contest the need for such programmes even with A lister presenters now. Most of the target audience with smartphones could produce their own tailored entertainment with Pop Videos, YouTubers, Instagram Stories and apps such as Musically being the building blocks driven by Social Media. Indeed for some management teams such as Prestige, (The Vamps, The Tide and New Hope Club) they and their fanbase are producing 24hr entertainment strands now.

The promotion of this type of show really is of the past.

If the show came back with Ant'n'Dec and Cat, it would be aiming at the generation of audience who watched it first time round, not the current kids audience. It would be a nostalgia fest rather than trying to appeal to today's kids I suspect.

Newer posts