« Topics
Skygeek889 posts since 5 Feb 2014
Apparently a post on Digital Spy said today that Samantha Simmonds is going to be Maxine's replacement.

It's possible that that's the case, but I sincerely doubt the DS source KNOWS that. As far as well-sourced information goes, it's the land of "Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster"!

Samantha was on World this weekend and also a couple of weeks ago.

Will truly miss Maxine. The lady is legendary. Almost as legendary as Skygeek.

Kind regards,
Uriah

What an absolute Heap of...

Anyway, knowing Simon's sense of humour, I'm sure he was being droll. Barring his untimely demise, he will indeed leave the BBC at some point before the end of his existence.
JamesWorldNews gave kudos
Gareth E (previously bbcsport) 1,952 posts since 23 Jan 2006
UTV Newsline
Eamonn, Dermot, Annita, Gordon, Gloria, Maxine . . . all the best presenters come from Northern Ireland. And the best of the best come from here in sunny Bangor.

My real interest in television news presentation started (morbidly enough) at the age of 12 on the night of Diana's death. I vividly remember Maxine's role that night and have admired her consumate professionalism ever since.

She did a nice interview with Conor Bradford on Radio Ulster's Evening Extra shortly after her last sign-off. It's at about 54:40 for those who would like a listen . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ljffq
BBC SPORT. THE OLYMPIC BROADCASTER.
Rkolsen2,934 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
Thought it was worth mentioning that Maxine Mawhinney fractured her wrist after she slipped in the kitchen. She put her arm first to break her fall from hitting her head. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

(Hopefully this doesn't break the third rule about personal life as she posted it publicly.)
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
bkman1990 gave kudos
Worzel4,797 posts since 8 Jan 2008
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Rory Cellan-Jones gets sartorial criticism ....

Do you know something, if a letter like that was sent to a female journalist, cries of sexism would be pouring from every corner. No difference here, i'm afraid.
Last edited by Worzel on 13 April 2017 11:53pm - 2 times in total
Bob Paisley444 posts since 9 Aug 2005
London London
Rory Cellan-Jones gets sartorial criticism ....

Do you know something, if a letter like that was sent to a female journalist, cries of sexism would be pouring from every corner. No different here, i'm afraid.

I'm sure letters exactly like that, and some which are far worse, get sent to female presenters all the time. They just choose not to publicise the fact.
Cando gave kudos
No further posts are being accepted for this topic