TV Home Forum

ITV win horse racing rights from 2017

Ed Chamberlin confirmed as host (January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
It was very nice weather though so I'm guessing the share is higher?
:-(
A former member
How many people watched it in the pubs? Does pubs count towards the viewership?
RO
rob Founding member

If it was anything like my local, then the answer is two...
A former member
rob posted:

If it was anything like my local, then the answer is two...

I was checking out my local bookies and there were alot of people watching their, We also have to remember people can now watch that race live on many betting websites.
BR
Brekkie
And could last year too. Weather undoubtedly played a factor.

19 days later

A former member
Because of Tour De yorkshire the horse racing is on ITV3.
HC
Hatton Cross
Unbelievable. It's technically the end of the jumps season tomorrow at Sandown, so if ever there was a 'non glamorous' meeting to put on ITV, rather than ITV3 that was it.
One hopes next year, this is a ITV meeting so 'the narrative of the jumps season' ends on the main channel.

I hope at some point in the next 3 3/4 years the RHA sit down with ITV and decide which Saturdays go onto ITV and which go onto ITV4 and changes are made.
NB
nbafan89
Unbelievable. It's technically the end of the jumps season tomorrow at Sandown, so if ever there was a 'non glamorous' meeting to put on ITV, rather than ITV3 that was it.
One hopes next year, this is a ITV meeting so 'the narrative of the jumps season' ends on the main channel.

I hope at some point in the next 3 3/4 years the RHA sit down with ITV and decide which Saturdays go onto ITV and which go onto ITV4 and changes are made.

today is a flat meeting while tomorrow on ITV is the jumps finale
NT
Night Thoughts
Idle thought struck me while watching the archive-heavy introduction to today's ITV racing from Sandown...

Is *all* the ITV racing archive in common ownership? It struck me that a lot of the 1960s stuff would be from Rediffusion or ABC (and later, Thames), so wouldn't be in ITV's hands. Must be fascinating putting those sequences together, mind you.
HC
Hatton Cross
It's a good question. The fact that in the first show on January 1st, and again for Cheltenham and The Grand national there is a fair amount of the BBC Sport and Channel 4 footage, makes me wonder if Horse Racing now operates similar to how FOM run the broadcast archive for F1.

All live race rights holders have to give the 'tapes' of each race, to FOM which is then held in their archive.

Rights holders both past and present. As long as you have the rights, you have access to past races in the local language.
That's how with Channel 4 and Sky Sports you have a lot of Murray Walker commentary - and no caption over the footage 'pictures from BBC Sport'.

Wonder if when Channel 4 won at the last but one rights renewal, they got access to the BBC Sport coverage (via the HRA) and now ITV have both the BBC Horse Racing archive (of what exists) and the Channel 4 coverage.
BR
Brekkie
The Opening Show is airing on ITV itself this week at 9.25am. ITV4 isn't airing anything else live at 10am, so seems they're giving it a shot on the main channel. Last week ITV4 had live cycling so moved it to 8am.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Hatton Cross .....

The handling of archive content in the way you describe is pretty consistent across all Sports now. Even Sky/BT current PL coverage is handed over enabling magazine programming to be produced. Indeed some highlights of matches covered by one of them in the previous week including the relevant commentary are shown on the other channel and vice-versa in these programmes within a couple of days. Eurosport apparently will also get BBC archive Olympic content alongside official IOC videos in time for the Pyeongchang games.

The exceptions being really old stuff, which enable the BBC to sell 1960's MoTD video to BT Sport for filler as with the free use of The Big Match archive on ITV4.

Newer posts