The Newsroom

BBC Parliament - Election 1992

(April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
John Prescott looking a bit blurry earlier.

A not unknown condition for Mr Prescott ...... Very Happy
HC
Hatton Cross
You know, it's probably down to cost, but it would be nice if BBC Parliament could try and obtain the masters from ITN Source, and show ITN/ITV General Election results show coverage every now and then..
(For a bit of variety)
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
You know, it's probably down to cost, but it would be nice if BBC Parliament could try and obtain the masters from ITN Source, and show ITN/ITV General Election results show coverage every now and then..
(For a bit of variety)

Hmm, a quick poke around on the ITN Source site suggests those may only be available as a series of clips as opposed to a full length show.
Nice idea though.
:-(
A former member
(For a bit of variety)

Hmm, a quick poke around on the ITN Source site suggests those may only be available as a series of clips as opposed to a full length show.
Nice idea though.

Is that because of all the regional opt outs?
IN
Interceptor
Been interesting dipping in and out of the coverage today. Looking forward to watching the 1997 election coverage, which I presume will be repeated in a month or so?
MS
msim
Been interesting dipping in and out of the coverage today. Looking forward to watching the 1997 election coverage, which I presume will be repeated in a month or so?

Yes, it's been confirmed a repeat in May.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
(For a bit of variety)

Nice idea though.

I suspect ITN will probably have the "Programme as Broadcast" on tape in its vault. There are literally thousands upon thousands of tapes in there - as well as all the older film cans etc. I may be wrong, but I don't think PABs are listed or available on the ITN Source website.
JA
james-2001
Surely there's no way they wouldn't have it? Something that that is surely far too important for them not to archive.

Interesting as well from clips I've seen they have at least part of the 59, 64 and 66 elections on VT, where the BBC only have telerecordings of theirs.
JA
james-2001
msim posted:

Will they show a version with the originals graphics this time, or will they show the "clean" version that they've shown before? Much harder to follow what's happening without those graphics.
BH
BillyH Founding member
I remember watching this ten years ago today as an eighteen year old, back when it was first repeated on BBC Parliament. I was fascinated about all the talk of "recession" and felt glad we lived in a world where such worries were a thing of the past...something that didn't last long!

Wonder what the schedule for the next few years will be...any chance of the 2005 and 2010 elections any time soon (neither repeated since the week of their original transmissions), or are they still too recent to be seen as historically interesting? Both had plenty of notable moments - 2005 may have had less of a significant result as 2010, but featured Reg Keys, Paxman vs. Galloway and plenty of post-Iraq talk. Also very much an end of an era election - last appearance of Peter Snow (the Dimbleby/Snow/Paxman lineup is for me the quintessential election trio), the Arthur theme, and generally the last to predate social media as we know it today. Would be good to see it again but since elections have been fixed to every five years it's hard to organise an 'anniversary' airing, as inevitably it will be too close to a real one.
VM
VMPhil
In fact here's the 2007 thread with many familiar faces/posters: https://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/1992-general-election-24598/

9 days later

IN
Interceptor
msim posted:

I wonder if this will go ahead now?

Newer posts