TV Home Forum

Operation London Bridge: the death of the Queen

Includes interesting info on how the media would respond (March 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
Yep, was Auntie's Bloomers on BBC One, was watching at the time. Genome suggests it was called Dazzling Bloomers.
IS
Inspector Sands
Still not sure what made BBC Two cut away so early.

Presumably the time of the newsflash changed but the director in BBC2 either didn't get the new time or had already cut away
VM
VMPhil
BBC One faded out during Auntie's Bloomers:

SD
ShinyDave
What would News 24 have been showing at the time? I imagine it's tricky to seamlessly slip into obit mode when you're continuously delivering news.

I don't know, but this is another thing that intrigues me about the process of activating "London Bridge." If memory serves, at that point News 24 was using a different studio to the main BBC1 bulletins, and that announcement went to Sissons in the BBC1 studio. At NBH, both the News Channel's hourly bulletins and the main BBC One bulletins are out of Studio E.

Assuming that the plan is for Huw Edwards or another senior broadcaster to announce the news, presumably it'd be in Studio E in the first instance, but as that would almost certainly be in use...
IS
Inspector Sands

Assuming that the plan is for Huw Edwards or another senior broadcaster to announce the news, presumably it'd be in Studio E in the first instance, but as that would almost certainly be in use...

Sit Huw or whoever on the other chair? Wink

31 days later

:-(
A former member
Odd question. I take It the soaps will have some thing planned when it happens? There done it for other huge points in time.
JA
JAS84
They'll probably be pre-empted on the day of the announcement. Corrie and Eastenders would probably film an insert scene for their next airings, which would be the next day (or Monday if the news broke over the weekend).
TJ
TedJrr
JAS84 posted:
.... probably be pre-empted on the day of the announcement. Corrie and Eastenders would probably film an insert scene for their next airings.........

On the day that Charles and Diana announced their engagement, Clarrie Larkin ended that evening's edition of The Archers by singing "One day my prince will come".....

Soaps exist to depict the national vibe; so yes, they would need to react.
SP
Steve in Pudsey

They do the rehearsals in C don't they? But either way they can decamp the News Channel to A, C, or D easily enough for an hour before the announcement.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Not sure they'd have to rehearse as such, Huw can read the script in his dressing room, and it isn't just an announcement it's an open ended bulletin so not like the Ten where they properly rehearse complex sequences.

I éxpect the news channel presenter will just move to the catwalk and then fill with the countdown-less countdown and some trailers.
SD
ShinyDave

They do the rehearsals in C don't they? But either way they can decamp the News Channel to A, C, or D easily enough for an hour before the announcement.

I thought they did the rehearsals in E and that's why the News Channel has the News at Five from C while they rehearse the Six and Outside Source at 9 while they rehearse the Ten? I may be wrong though.

I also wonder if they might, at some point at least, use Studio A with the green screens set to a special dark background, in a 21st-century variation on how ITN's evening coverage on the night of Diana's death literally involved sticking a curtain at the back of the News at Ten studio.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Let me clarify what I meant - they do regular obit rehearsals, and I think I'm right in saying that these have been done in C. On a daily basis, yes - the news channel moves out to C or A before the set piece bulletins.

I could easily see Studio C being used with a suitable image on the screens behind the presenters.

Whether they would rehearse on the day? Well after the pigs ear that was the Sissons opening to the Queen Mother obit I suspect that given the opportunity they would at least run through the top of the programme and the announcement.

Newer posts