TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast

Where life used to start at 7. (January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
I never noticed that. Did Mark Lamarr ever cover for Chris? If not he'd be the only Down your Doorstep permanent host not to host the main show.

No, Lamarr never presented the main show, and I don't recall anyone standing in for him when he was on holiday either. Of course, he was presenting The Word at the same time, and it was Cheggers' appearance on The Word that got him the Big Breakfast job, because he was basically there to be laughed at but charmed everyone with his self-deprecating humour and professionalism, and Mark Lamarr told him he'd written a load of jokes at his expense but realised he was going down so well he couldn't use them.

Lamarr said that his worst moment on The Big Breakfast was when he took a camel onto a council estate in Glasgow and just before they were about to go on air the camel started going mad, snorting loudly and running amok, with its handlers trying desperately to keep hold of it, and all he could do was come on and say "Hello, we're in Glasgow and we've got a camel, bye!"
MA
mannewskev
Didn't doing Down Your Doorstep end up giving Mark Lamarr pneumonia?

16 days later

JB
JasonB
That Johnny Vaughan and Kurt Angle moment in full:

41 days later

JB
JasonB
Might be worth keeping an eye on this channel.

A full episode with Jenny McCarthy from 1999:

JB
JasonB
An advert for Johnny joining the Big Breakfast.

WH
Whataday Founding member
Interesting to see the use of the 1992-style Gingham tablecloth design in conjunction with 1997-style graphics. I quite like it.

There's a bit on The Word and The Big Breakfast during Geri's 90s (about 16 minutes in)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08jg8nk/geris-1990s-my-drive-to-freedom?suggid=b08jg8nk
JB
JasonB
I'm guessing that promo is promoting Johnny's first stint or his full time stint in september? I'm guessing it's promoting him joining in the autumn?
IS
Inspector Sands
In the most recent Chris Moyles podcast he and Dom talk about the pilot they did at the BB house for the Big Breakfast's replacement. Interesting. Listen from 48'20"
http://podbay.fm/show/1042635536/e/1488499200
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 13 March 2017 4:55pm - 4 times in total

17 days later

WH
Whataday Founding member
15 Years Ago today...

FA
fanoftv

Sad
It makes me feel old, as it feels like just yesterday that I was watching it.
Children born after 2002 must find it odd that such a breakfast programme was ever on the air when you look at what we have today.
MA
Markymark

Sad
It makes me feel old, as it feels like just yesterday that I was watching it.
Children born after 2002 must find it odd that such a breakfast programme was ever on the air when you look at what we have today.

Don't worry, I'm sure smart phones and Snapchat more than make up for it.
BR
Brekkie
"Don't Snapchat, it's Just for Fun" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Newer posts