The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Lucky viewers in the West Country. Will be an interesting combo with Kylie.

11 days later

ST
South Today
Any date yet when we shall see Mark present his first programme?
NG
noggin Founding member
Axed sky news presenter Mark Longhurst replaces Ian.

Mark Longhurst no stranger to local news with his stint before Sky on Thames News

He also presented BBC South Today for a while too ISTR, after Thames News and before Sky I think. Early-to-mid 90s?
RO
rob Founding member
Axed sky news presenter Mark Longhurst replaces Ian.

Mark Longhurst no stranger to local news with his stint before Sky on Thames News

He also presented BBC South Today for a while too ISTR, after Thames News and before Sky I think. Early-to-mid 90s?

That's correct.

Image from TV Ark
TO
Towielad
rob posted:

That's correct.

and not forgetting his stint at TV-am

Image from TV Ark

12 days later

BE
Benjamin1
Mark went on air yesterday (27 Mar)
LS
Lou Scannon
Hmm... This Mark Longhurst chappie has a bit of a "posh" voice. Not to my liking.

Okay, so he's not exactly Brian Sewell voice-wise. But it feels at odds with the "friendly" tone of ITV regional news, and certainly doesn't suit introducing human interest fluff etc.

Thumbs down
LL
Hmm... This Mark Longhurst chappie has a bit of a "posh" voice. Not to my liking.

Okay, so he's not exactly Brian Sewell voice-wise. But it feels at odds with the "friendly" tone of ITV regional news, and certainly doesn't suit introducing human interest fluff etc.

Thumbs down

Gravitas on ITV News West Country, heaven forbid!
bilky asko, Stuart and fusionlad gave kudos
FU
fusionlad Founding member

Thumbs down

Utter rubbish.
SK
Skygeek

Thumbs down

Utter rubbish.

Exactly. It's RP, as opposed to the usual chummy, faux BBC local radio tones some regional presenters deploy when trying (misguidedly) to ingratiate themselves to the audience.

I used to write for Mark on a weekly basis and he's always handled light-and-shade beautifully.
LL
RP hasn't exactly affected Kylie Pentelow with the viewers.
MA
Markymark
RP hasn't exactly affected Kylie Pentelow with the viewers.

Thank goodness you didn't spell affected with an e Cool

Newer posts