TV Home Forum

BBC One 1997

Box logo (March 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MW
Mike W
Was a box logo patch (as introduced on the BBC One/BBC Two idents from 2002 and 2001 respectively) planned with the 1997 brand?

I ask as the Eurovision Song Contest 1998 had BBC One logos in a 'non-standard' arrangement in advertising bill boards
http://i2.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article7085880.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/BP127916.jpg

From a pres point of view it is interesting as it shows that a stacked logo was part of the print package for BBC One introduced in 1997, and also that the channel branding was used as opposed to the corporate BBC logo which was used in all other ESC publicity.
VM
VMPhil
Stacked versions like that (without a box as later on) were available from the start weren't they? As an alternate version anyway. I recall BBC Online used to use them.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm sure TV listings (possibly RT) used that logo too?
MW
Mike W
Stacked versions like that (without a box as later on) were available from the start weren't they? As an alternate version anyway. I recall BBC Online used to use them.

I always thought that stacked logos were prohibited by the 'rules', particularly where the directorate, channel, nation or region name was larger than the BBC block text? I may be mis-remembering what I've read, and I was quite young when this look lanched, so can't remember the TV listings either!

I just thought it was strange as I'd never seen that variant of the logo before
JA
james-2001
Wasn't the "stack" that was banned where the BBC letters were on top of each other?
VM
VMPhil
From the 1997 brand guidelines available on TV Ark:

JA
james-2001
In that case though, doesn't stacked mean rotated 90 degrees? I don't recall seeing one with the letters on top of each other for years after the rebrand.
NG
noggin Founding member
In that case though, doesn't stacked mean rotated 90 degrees? I don't recall seeing one with the letters on top of each other for years after the rebrand.

No - stacked means one above the other - not rotated.

So the stacked version of :

BBC World

would be :

BBC
World

The main thing about the [B][B][C] logo was that you weren't allowed to break up the logo.

[B]
[B]
[C]

was forbidden. You had to rotate all three blocks as a single unit, not individually.

There has been 'some' relaxation - with some degree of animation and the BBC 'trinity' branding taking place (though this doesn't seem to have been pushed anywhere near as much as was envisaged)
JU
Justin
From the initial guidelines for newspapers/magazines

BA
Bail Moderator
http://www.designcurial.com/Uploads/Project/8990/images/258602/large/BBC-House.jpg
JA
james-2001
The rules clearly got relaxed after a few years- certainly by 2003 when the top of the pops titles had the BBC logo animating on and off letter by letter.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I don't think TOTP is a good benchmark for correct usage of the BBC logo really.

Newer posts