TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2017

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
It's a fine line between being loose and being slick, and in prime time too much one way leads to calls of shambolic productions. A slight mis-read of the autocue and some follow up banter is looser than many presenters do on live prime time TV. Many would just read on.
LL
Larry the Loafer
They managed it in the early days of SNT. Everything felt far more natural and fun. Whereas tonight, the second Ant said he had big news, I knew it was a set up for a joke or lead in to something. Watching them on a chat show or something is far more like what they should be in my opinion.
BA
bilky asko
Not trying to pick fault at all, but this series does feel a bit... bitty, not gelling too well. I think a TV show needs soul, and in order to have soul, there has to be an element of originality that the team have brought to the table themselves. Make Em Laugh and Read My Lips are directly lifted from YouTube, so 'not original' is a pretty accurate description.

As for Morecambe and Wise, that was their ACT (similar to The Two Ronnies and numerous other double acts) Ant and Dec are (very good) PRESENTERS, that some have compared to M&W because there's two of them and they sometimes did little skits. For me it feels unnatural to try and crowbar whole M&W-styles routines into their presenting.

Both of those games are ones I played versions of as a child. There are far more original game ideas on YouTube.

EDIT: To clarify, I fear their entire existence as generic games are because the idea was lifted from somewhere or something else, and are hardly groundbreaking new formats being stolen and going unattributed.
Last edited by bilky asko on 19 March 2017 1:36am
BR
Brekkie
Not trying to pick fault at all, but this series does feel a bit... bitty, not gelling too well. I think a TV show needs soul, and in order to have soul, there has to be an element of originality that the team have brought to the table themselves. Make Em Laugh and Read My Lips are directly lifted from YouTube, so 'not original' is a pretty accurate description.

I know others here think rotating features work in the shows favour but to me it indicates they just throw pretty much any idea on screen, and by only airing it 2-3 weeks in a series kind of admit it's not good enough to run every week. Long term it would probably be better if they'd done something like Singalong Live every week for one series, then Read My Lips the next series etc. Neither feature should have lasted more than one series IMO.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'd love to see What's Next comes back. I miss the idea of the guys having to wing it and there was a feeling of anything could happen, including the curtain not rising and having to go to a break. As I've said, everything's too safe and over-rehearsed now.

DA
davidhorman
Whereas tonight, the second Ant said...

His name's Dec.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Whereas tonight, the second Ant said...

His name's Dec.

I laughed at that harder than I should've.
LL
Larry the Loafer
The aforementioned What's Next problem:

FA
fanoftv
A brilliant feature in what's next. I can only remember the curtain failing once but that problem could be averted by having the next item appear in at the double does to the right of the set. They didn't have such flexibility in the old set.
JO
Joe

I know others here think rotating features work in the shows favour but to me it indicates they just throw pretty much any idea on screen, and by only airing it 2-3 weeks in a series kind of admit it's not good enough to run every week. Long term it would probably be better if they'd done something like Singalong Live every week for one series, then Read My Lips the next series etc. Neither feature should have lasted more than one series IMO.

Massively disagree here - it simply shows that audiences want more than a rigid formula week in, week out. I get extremely bored by shows that have identical formats each week. For instance, Michael McIntyre's Big Show was funny to me for the first couple of shows, but it stuck to almost the same items, order of items, length of items for each of the weeks following and it just got boring to me - I wanted a little of the unexpected and some spontaneity, and it just didn't happen. The content was still funny enough, but now the format was feeling tired already.
FA
fanoftv
I agree Joe. For that similar reason a weekly feature that I do miss is Grab the Ads where the idea was the same but the games were different each week and you had some interesting mixes of celebrities.

BR
Brekkie
Grab the Ads was always more entertaining than Win the Ads.
Joe posted:
Massively disagree here - it simply shows that audiences want more than a rigid formula week in, week out. I get extremely bored by shows that have identical formats each week. For instance, Michael McIntyre's Big Show was funny to me for the first couple of shows, but it stuck to almost the same items, order of items, length of items for each of the weeks following and it just got boring to me - I wanted a little of the unexpected and some spontaneity, and it just didn't happen. The content was still funny enough, but now the format was feeling tired already.

It's long term versus short term though IMO - they may vary it up week to week but it doesn't change too much series to series. Any feature should be strong enough to be able to carry 7-8 consecutive airings a year without feeling repetitive.

However, all of what we're saying is nonsense really - the show is pulling in 7m+ a week (peaked at over 8m last night) so ITV are not going to be worried.

Newer posts